Things I've Learned In 2011

I've been reflecting a lot lately on my life and my relationships and my work as an SP and have realized that 2011 has been a year of personal growth and spiritual 'enlightenment' for me (by spiritual I'm not really talking about religion or anything of the sort)...

So I thought I'd start this thread to provide everyone with the space to share some of the life lessons they've learned this year and perhaps share the stories and context around that learning. And what will you do differently in 2012 as a result of this learning?

I'm going to have to think about mine because there are so many and they are all quite deep and personal...

What about you?

xoxo

Sky

• Like 2

Can't please em all

face your battles

Just keep trying and never give up or in

Life..is hard, so make the best of it lightheartedly

We are all kids, we just learn how to act in public

Just because you're not doing anything bad, doesn't mean you're doing anything good

Most of the time, what you're looking for is right in front of you

Good health for a good life

take lot's of pictures

Just do it

Smile

The best feeling is getting paid to do what you love

That family does not always mean blood related

Edited by JuliasUndies

First of all, great thread Ms.Alexandra. 2011 will go down as quite year for myself personally. As Ms.Alexandra stated, not really religiously but spritually and all kinds of other reasons. In the past year I have learned such lessons as:

a) Don't show your cards too quickly or you can scare people away & not only men are "commitment phobes"

b) Trust your instincts about people and not always what they say.

c) You have to be there for family even though they might not always be there for you.

d) Trust in your character and hard work for at some point you will reap the rewards.

e) You don't do nice things to be noticed, you do them because you want to.

f) It's possible to help people from both sides of an issue as long as you never lose your own perspective.

g) Don't make decisions based on public perceptionof what you should do, make decisions based on what YOU want to do..

Like I said, 2011 has been a big year for myself relationship wise, family wise, friendship wise & business wise. I will be anxious to see what lessons others have learned.

Miserable or joyful, everyone can find in one's self a reason to prove the world is as one sees it; And not as it truly is.... Because life is not good or bad, it just is....

That's what I am still learning...

I also learned that you can learn new things relatively late in life, like juggling, having fun at the arcade or new English words ...

Looking forward to 2012...

• Like 1

Guest ***t***iv***

mind over matter really works

moderation is my key to success

true happiness comes from within

showing kindness in the face of hatred equals power

treat others the way you want to be treated

& most importantly..

when faced with adversary or challenge: just do it- if you think too much* you might get in your own way of success!

*I am a strong advocate in thinking things through, but what I found this past year is that you need to draw the line somewhere. Consider your options carefully. I do not condone going out and behaving recklessly, I just mean don't overthink things. Take calculated risks, but remember: you can't win if you don't play!

Nice thread Alexandra. A few things I've picked up;

Kindness and generostiy are their own rewards.

Life is brief and fleeting-live it and enjoy it (but with dignity).

Savour and protect your friends-they're the family you get to choose. Cover their back whenever you can and they'll do the same for you someday.

Don't confuse tolerance and compassion with weakness. Sometimes you just have to kick a little posterior.

A jerk will always be a jerk-you can't talk reason or sense into them so don't try.

Everyone falls and sometimes you need a hand to get back up. When your time comes and you stumble, don't allow your pride to get in the way of others helping you.

• Like 1

The year of 2011 brought to me much the same as what Sky referred to in her opening post in this thread. Reflection on my life and where it is going, and as well a spiritual enlightenment that may or may not be related to religion or a 'higher' power.

The context is based on my life 'before', a life that many would probably think of as the perfect easy life - well educated, a loving wife and amazing family, a good career and job, a home, financial independence. On reflection, it was perhaps easy but I also know that I worked at all of that to achieve what it was that I had and still have. Then came the 'shock', out of the blue, unexpected, unanticipated, and it brought me to 2011 in a state of confusion and mindless wandering and wondering.

So what has 2011 taught me? So many things. That life goes on, and it will be whatever I choose to make it. That drifting aimlessly is not something that I enjoy or can continue. That the belief that I can take control of my destiny is stronger than the 'whatever happens, happens,' attitude that I have had now for too long. I have learned that I do enjoy my own company, but that I cannot shut out everyone else around me. It is not what I want or what they want.

Cerb and people that I have met here have taught me about ideas and concepts previously unheard of or even contemplated. The stereotypes of course is one, and my total re-evaluation of them. Polyamourous relationships has been something that I have thought about a great deal and have yet to really clarify in my mind.

I have new friends through Cerb, and have found that it is sometimes easier to make new friends than to relate with friends that my wife and I had for such a long time. That is something I am still thinking about - the why of that?

I have learned the power of writing. The writing that I refer to is what I do in my personal journal. It has become very a cathartic exercise for me and always brings me around.

I have learned that I also think too much, over-analyze too much, question too much, apologize too much, and need to develop more confidence in the moment, in the present, and sometimes to just accept - myself mostly.

2011 has been a year of exploring sexually and otherwise, of coming to terms, of learning to accept, and it is the preface to a me who will once again begin to plan ahead, to anticipate and look forward to things, to enjoy life, and to continue to learn.

In short 2011 was needed in order for me to live again.

• Like 1

2011 has been a year of transition for me. I am finally coming to terms with being single again, and trying to be a better father, friend, sibling, and coworker. Somehow in neglecting myself I have neglected those most important to me as a result - I will strive to do much better in 2012. Thanks, Sky, for starting this thread and for, ummm, starting the healing process for me.

• Like 1