The Meaning of Sex and Why it's Important

I've been reading and participating in another thread (Sex Basic Human Right,) and have also had discussions with some friends that have brought me to wonder: what would the ladies and gents here say is the importance or meaning of sex in their lives?

It's one thing to say sex is good, and sex is a human right and that more sex is better than less sex, and it's another to explain why. What is sex to you? What does it mean? What does it do for you? What part of who you are is linked to who you are sexually in a way that it isn't to anything else or any other activity you do?

(I may quote you (without attribution to protect the innocent) elsewhere in my blog because this is all part of the research for my master Machiavellian wonder opus. It's what us scribblers do, yo?)

I'll start:

I have varied and probably pretty dull intellectual interests, one of which is the way that people construct their notion of Self and their identity. Without getting into that, I keep coming back to the idea of sex as the most basic representation of true self; when we are having sex for the sake of sex, we are as close to knowing who we really are as we possibly can be. In sex, we are ourselves. In every other situation, we are more in control of the persona we want to project and our need to live according to the perceived expectations placed on us.

I love sex because of the unspoken, unspeaking bond between myself and my partner. I enjoy the way certain touches, changes of position, light breaths and light licks are met with reactions that can be read and adjusted to. I can completely lose myself in the moment of absorption into someone else's sensation, where I can sense and feel a woman's reactions, mounting excitement, and the tension and anticipation building up to an intense release. I could spend happy hours repeating that whole cycle, because in those moments everything else about myself is stripped away, and what's left is the most basic essence of who I am as a person, if I can begin to understand it.

• Like 3

Hey Scribbles, you have echoed my sentiments of what sex means to me. I will not be adding anything more to your beautifully written sentences.

Amen!

Guest S**a*Q
What is sex to you? What does it mean? What does it do for you? What part of who you are is linked to who you are sexually in a way that it isn't to anything else or any other activity you do?

Sex by Sara:

"Sex to me is like payday, it is payday.

Sex is sometimes that one thing that differs between the relationships I have in my personal life, some friends I have slept with and some I haven't.

I like sleeping with people for everything else that "sex" is, penetration is just the end.

I love everything leading up to penetration and the moments after.

Sex isn't necessary for me (it's welcome), but masturbation is and my orgasm is.

Everything I do is sexually-oriented, however mostly through what I say. I tend to offend at times, or shock people, but I like to test boundaries.

Sex is when you are at your most vulnerable, your most honest."

A very difficult question for a alot of reason but I would have to be honest and say I have really been looking for a way to word it myself for a while. I guess I should make an attempt at a reasoning. For me, it's two things, of course the physical release but moreso and more important the physical expression and several different feelings and emotions. The build-up or working your way to it is more about figuring out who you are and testing "your own boundaries" of physical expression and creativity.

As Sara has so eloquently mentioned above, it truly "is" about what goes on prior to the actual act of penetration, it's the stimulation through touch, smell, sound, taste...that brings you to the point that is the actual "orgasm" of the mind. If my mind can't get itself off, then it simply doesn't matter if the rest of myself does. This is why some people although they may have the physical chemistry or wnat too so badly, simply can't get to where they want because the connection isn't there mentally so ...for myself, the connection has to be there in more ways than one.

Perhaps it is putting some needless pressure on myself, but for me, I cannot have what you would refer to as "routine" sex as for myself there has to be something else with it. It the most talked about thing in the world because at some point, besdies eating, sleeping and breathing, it's pretty much the only thing every person does, it's just the circumstances and reasons around it that are different.

Sex is about expressing who you are mentally through a physical act and obtaining a physical result by reaching the ultimate mental orgasm!

• Like 1

Guest **cely***r***ne

Yes! This is so true.

Sex is when you are at your most vulnerable, your most honest."

Sex.

For me there are many different definitions.

It is a word. It is an action. It classifies our gender. And for the hopelessly romantic, like myself, it is love.

To elaborate more on the word sex, it is just that, a word with copious amounts of definitions.

I do not like to discuss gender in depth because for me I do not believe in gender...I believe in people.

The action of sex has many different descriptions as well. I have sex with myself preforming clitoral stimulation, I have sex with people, and I have sex with dildos and vibrators. Some of it means something to me, others do not. Such as the dildo and vibe. It is a piece of human made material with no feeling, nor do they respond to me when I am placing them inside my vagina. I like my "partners" to have fun too.

I am a hopeless romantic and I believe in making love. Imho sex is then like an understatement because making love involves so much more. Maybe its just this way for women, or perhaps it is just me, but when we are in love all things seem heightened. The touch of a lover, the breath on our skin from a lover as well as penetration and stimulation just seem so powerful. So making love, or sex in this case with the OP questions, does alot of things for me.

It allows me to connect with myself and others in ways that the general public does not. Sex heals, and creates. Sex can cause pain, and temptation. But for the most part, having sex does wonders for my overall well being.

Everything I am is linked to sex. My hair, my make up the way I walk and carry myself...I am woman, I exude sexuality and that is the way I like it.

Edited by **cely***r***ne