68th Anniversary of D-Day

Just a quick reminder that we all might want to take a moment to observe the 68th anniversary of D-Day. In an age where the word freedom sometimes gets tossed around to describe wars of dubious moral distinction, the second World War was without a doubt a battle against Tyranny and Evil. We can never thank those who fought and died enough for their service or their sacrafice, but we can honour them by remembering.

• Like 5

On this day, 68 years ago my maternal grandfather was already on Sword beach with the Royal Marine Commandos. His 3 brothers, who were also commandos, were on both British beaches of Sword and Gold. My mother's entire family were involved in D-Day, there was never a question of putting your life on the line for King and country at that time. The liberation of the world for tyranny was far more important than anything at that time.

My paternal grandfather was in the Royal Canadian Service Corps, and landed much later in the day on Juno Beach. He did his part, left my grandmother and 4 children back in Canada for the greater good.

It is on days like today I hope we never forget the true meaning of D-Day. We as western powers must always stand up and do what's right, not what's easy. It is our responsibility to defend the world against tyranny, as our grandparents once did. Lest we forget.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VCj_J9hdTM

• Like 3

While the wars of old fade further and further into the past, it is important to remember the sacrifices that were made, and continue to be made by Canada's service men and women. We are fortunate to have so many rights and freedoms. :)

I've had the privilege of visiting Juno beach a couple of summers ago. Wow, what an operation!!

• Like 1

My grandfather tried to enlist in the Canadian Forces in WW2 but he couldn't pass the medical which I guess is a good thing for me otherwise I might not be around. But to me WW2 was one of the few wars that needed to be fought. If the allies had not stepped in there is good chance most of the Jews in Europe would have been wiped out by the Nazis and for that fact alone I'm glad we went. I've always held those who are willing to put their life on the line for the greater good in the highest respect, especially the police, fire-fighters, and soldiers. And so I say let us remember those who fell on the beaches of Normandy this day so that we can enjoy the freedom they fought for.

On another note although none of my grandparents thought in WW2 I do have relatives that served in the Canadian Expeditionary Force in WW1 during some pretty bloody battles. I still have his medals, insignia from his cap, and even a couple of pictures of him in uniform which is pretty cool. I haven't researched exactly what battles he fought in but from his records it looks like he fought in the last 100 days which were some of the bloodiest days of that war. He didn't talk much about his experience but he is someone I would have loved to talk to and hear his stories about his experience.