Guest Ou**or**n

We laugh today but history will condemn both the Catholic church and the former Bush administration as collaborators in the largest genocide in human history - the senseless and preventable deaths of millions that could of been saved by condoms.

It's funny how things go round and round.

When I was a young girl, getting "the talk" from my parents, HIV/AIDS was unknown. But they wouldn't have been married and had me had a condom not failed. Birth control pills were the thing then. So I was cautioned that if I had any even slight suspicion that I might become sexually active, better safe than sorry, let them know and they'd ensure I got a prescription. They told me not to take a chance on a condom.

Many years later, when we were giving our daughter "the talk," we were a lot more concerned about HIV/AIDS -- so back to the condoms!

Just recently, there was some success had in immunizing primates against SIV by transferring genes from known anitbodies. Hopefully an HIV vaccine is not far off.

But in the meanwhile, it seems to me if we can walk a man on the moon, put robots on Mars, and send probes to the edges of the solar system, we ought to be able to come up with a better solution than the condom. Necessary, but not the most accommodating things in the world.