About your sense of humour....

I just wanted to start the year off on a fun note starting with my friends in the CERB community. This time of year is relatively slow for me workwise and allows for time to reflect on the lighter side of life. Like most of us I love to laugh and enjoy humour in many ways.

I was wondering if other Cerbites can identify (1) where their sense of humour were formed and (2) some examples of your favorite people / situations. Perhaps there will be some common threads here.

My somewhat dry sense of humour largely comes from my long deceased father and was the bane of my mother's prim and proper existence. Some examples include:

Actor / Comedians

- Rowan Atkinson (Mr Bean), only the TV shows not the movies

- John Cleese - all his stuff

- Rick Mercer - the best on Canadian TV

- "Ted" (from the new movie of the same name)

- Robin Williams (his adult stuff)

Authors

- Gary Larson ("Far Side" - I wish he would come out of retirement)

- Bruce Makinnon - National cartoonist

Other

- The Canadian series "Just for Laughs Gags"

- Several Bristish TV shows (i.e. Keeping Up Appearances, Waiting for God).

What are your thoughts?

• Like 1

I think my sense of humour follows largely from my refined sense of the absurd, coupled with an appreciation for novelty. This might explain why I sometimes dissolve into fits of giggles over situations and/or notions that are heavily steeped in nonsense, much to the amusement and amazement of those observing.

I also like wordplay and political humour, because these are areas I love to muck about in, myself. :D

Some Monty Python for your consideration:

-How not to be seen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmyz_f8Sx14

-The silly olympics

And a piece on the the impotence of proofreading your writing:

• Like 4

There is nothing better than a good laugh-joke-gag, I love, love to laugh and being silly. Some may consider me weird, embarassing as I like to act out in public and do unexpected playful antics. Life is short and you have to have as much fun as you can-jmo.

some of the people I find funny are

the late great Chris Farley

John Cleese

Peter Sellars

Joan Rivers

Will Farrell

Eddie Murphy

Melissa McCarthy

Guest S**a*Q

I am funny. :D No hilarious... Or so I've been told.

"You should do stand up comedy." is something I hear way too much.

I don't know where I get it from. Being quick and witty helps I suppose. Oh and also having no filter between my mouth and brain adds to the hilarity.

I've been told that I'm a great ab workout!

I enjoy a bit of the perverse with my humor. Be it sexual or just somehow a little different than normal. It also takes a lot to shock me, so maybe that's why I find thing on the 'edge' more funny than things that are not.

I've enjoyed such comedies as Monty Python, Rowan Atkinson's Black Adder (oldie but a goodie), The Far Side, etc. I sometimes say stupid things in a dry way just to gauge other people's reactions before I 'come clean' and give a sheepish grin. I love Tarintino's dialogue in his movies. Witty banter coming to a clever ending. That's pretty normal, I guess. :-)

Additional Comments:

I also like wordplay and political humour, because these are areas I love to muck about in, myself. :D

Have you read any Tom Sharpe? I ask only because he wrote an interesting comedy set in South Africa during Apartheid. Riotous Assembly is the title of this absurd book I believe which played a role in getting him banned from the country. It's also a bit perverse, so YMMV.

• Like 1

Some people think I am the funniest person they ever met; others think I am the most humorousless. Fortunately, the ones I most appreciate, appreciate my sense of humor.

Off the top of my head: I like Bill Murray; and the Urma Thurman & John Travolta intro scenes to Pulp Fiction. But also Eric Rohmer's Ma Nuit Chez Maude!