We Choose the Moon

Guest W***ledi*Time

Powerful memories for those of us who were glued to our TV sets 40 years ago today ... back in those amazing times when there seemed to be no limit to what mankind was capable of achieving:

http://www.wechoosethemoon.org/ (JFK Presidential Library and Museum)

This contains, among other things, a "live" cap-com transmission feed -- according to my calculations, the LEM's hatch will open for the EVA at about 10:37 ET, and you can listen to Neil Armstrong make his first step "live" at approximately 10:54 ET tonight.

I remember this as if it was yesterday. I was 11 years old and was at my friends house when the lunar module landed. Then I remember falling asleep while watching the moon walk with my parents. What a great summer it was.

I fear that there is an entire generation of people that have no clue what it was like to grow up during the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo programs. I did have a chance to visit the Kennedy Space Center a couple years ago with my family and seeing the Apollo exhibit, with the full size Saturn V rocket and other original objects, brought tears to my eyes, followed by a really, really big smile!

Last night HBO ran several episodes of Earth to the Moon. Great series, sorry I didn't get to post in advance but I was unawarem and got home late. Caught just a bit myself ..... agree it brings back great memories.