Autism Art Auction - collaboration between Ontario Autism Coalition & AllTalkTV

Hey guys, I just wanted to share this with you, it's a project that I was working on with a good friend of mine:

www.autismartauction.com

In a nutshell, her son has autism and he has been unable to receive quality services from our healthcare system, and she's been pushing for an autism crisis centre fro some time... Since she hasn't made any headway in getting the government to put up the funds for it, she decided to start fundraising to get it built privately instead.

This is also a personal issue for me, since one of my brothers has Asperger's Syndrome; I wrote a piece for the Huffington Post talking about how families need to be integrated into treatment to improve outcomes for people with autism, and together, we decided to launch the 1st Annual Autism Art Auction to raise funds for the crisis centre, and couple it with an episode of Sex Brains & Money! :)

The concept is that based around the fact that a lot of people with autism seem to have strong creative abilities in other areas, so we encouraged people to donate their artwork, and we would auction it off as part of the fundraising effort. So please, check out the link, watch some of the clips, and if you're so inclined, please feel free to bid on one of the many great pieces in our gallery! We also did interviews with a number of professionals who've studied autism in different capacities, and included those on the website as well.

Thanks for the support everyone, this is a cause that's close to a lot of people's hearts and we really hope we can make this happen, and improve services for people with autism across the country. :)

Edited by Nikki Thomas
  • Like 6

Guest B**na***oy

Once again Nikki, you demonstrate what a deeply caring person you are.

caring_hands_caring_hearts_large.gif

Thank you.

Hello Nikki:

I am so sorry I missed the broadcast. I just discovered this thread. As a person with cerebral palsy I clearly understand about bureaucracy and receiving services with dignity honesty and respect. Hopefully, you had a rocksolid turnout.

Also, if there are any other fundraisers etc. please let me know and I will do what ever I can to spread the word.

Take care

PatrickGC

Hello Nikki:

I am so sorry I missed the broadcast. I just discovered this thread. As a person with cerebral palsy I clearly understand about bureaucracy and receiving services with dignity honesty and respect. Hopefully, you had a rocksolid turnout.

Also, if there are any other fundraisers etc. please let me know and I will do what ever I can to spread the word.

Take care

PatrickGC

Check the website she linked, you didn't miss it auction ends may 5 at 5pm.

Nikki I was wonder can we still donate without bidding?

• Like 1

Hey everyone, thanks for chiming in. The auction has been quite successful so far, and we even had a bit of coverage on CTV while it was going on. We're still accepting donations and bids until Saturday evening, so check out http://www.autismartauction.com, or email us at [email protected] for more details.

Thanks so much for the support everyone - the auction has been very successful so far, not just in terms of raising funds (where we've already exceeded our expectations) but also by helping the people and youth with autism who have donated their work feel so good about themselves. They're able to share their creativity with the world, and they know that it goes to a good cause that's personally important to them. What could be better than that? :)