Looking For Professional Photographer

Hey Everyone,

I think it's time to step it up a notch. No more photos done by myself with the shitty built-in webcam on my laptop!

I am looking for someone who owns their own equipment and lighting (or who has access to) and a secure and safe location.

I am very picky and particular about the overall look and feel of my photos, and I would like to go for a somewhat retro theme. I don't mean the typical Betty Page style pinup photos, think back to 60's playboys (I have almost all of them if you want to flip through them) with those wonderful psychedelic colours.

image-364-1.jpg

My style icons include Brigitte Bardot, Anna Karina and Catherine Deneuve, so it would be awesome if you are already familiar with their work.

catherine+deneuve+1.jpg

movie-anna-karina-pierrot-le-fou-de-jean-luc-godard.jpg

brigitte_bardot_1956.jpg

Hope this gives you an idea.

If you could e-mail me at

[email protected]

and attach some examples of your work, that would be appreciated. If I like your style then we can proceed.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

-Amanda Ryan

I'll do it. Pro bono.

And it would be my pleasure!

I will e-mail you with some examples of my photography.

Two things to know about professional photographers. First, if they offer to do it for free, they are not professionals. Second, you get what you pay for.

A professional, by definition, does not work for free.

Good luck.

Two things to know about professional photographers. First, if they offer to do it for free, they are not professionals. Second, you get what you pay for.

A professional, by definition, does not work for free.

Good luck.

You are 100% correct..i've learned the hard way that when it comes to photography that is your advertising material go with the best. You get what you pay for.....just my 2 cents.

It's unfortunate that you both feel that way. In my experience as a photographer for the Military and one who has worked for a private studio; there are many hobbyist photographers who are absolute visionaries that do not practice professionally. If you're interested in some examples, take a look at the photographers from Ottawa listed on Deviantart.

We feel this way because we know, first hand and via experience, that amateurs are more trouble then they are worth in creative endeavors (please excuse me for speaking for you Rachelle, I'm paraphrasing you).

First, anyone who puts such a low value on what they do that they would do it for free is someone to avoid.

Second, talented rookies exist in almost every field. The difference between them and a professional is that a professional can get the job done when it counts, not just when the stars align or when infinite time is available.

Third, if it's not treated like a business, do you know what you are getting in to? Is the rookie insured? Do they pay taxes, or will you (the subject) get dragged into a audit should the rook get audited? Do they have the equipment to do the expected job? Without a professional portfolio, how will you know? Some guy on a board saying "Go here and look no further"? Is that how you would pick someone who would be generating the entirety of your public image?

Finally, without any kind of agreement, contract, or other such document, how do you actually know who owns the rights to the images created? Or what can be done with them, and by whom? For privacy reasons alone, I would strongly suggest a working pro.

Not to mention that without some form of compensation, there is no obligation for the photographer to actually deliver anything.

Using an amateur will get you amateurish results, both photographically and business-wise, and may open you up to social or legal issues you probably want to avoid.

thanks so much for all the advice.

I have booked a session with a pro who is talented and has reasonable rates. I appreciate all the offers, even the ridiculous ones. Sorry, but I too am capable of taking a pic of myself in a bathtub and jacking up the contrast

Posted via Mobile Device

You may want to ask OttawaPlaytimeCouple... He's the one doing mine...

Makes me feel like a top model everytime, and the result is definitly there...

True professionnal, without the price... Very reasonnable!

I'm actually on my way to be a professionnal photographer ...

I'm finishing my photographie course next year ... youppi!! :D

It's a really interesting project that you have ... It's hard to find someone who will photography you exactly in the way you are expecting for ... I know that because every time I tried a photographer in the past ... it was never like I was expecting for ... this is the reason why now, I'm the photographer ... this is why usually, I do my own picture ... For sure, the shooting was limited but it was the only way I could look good on picture loll .

I wish you will find a good photographer ... who will be able to take what you got in your mind to put on paper. :)

Good luck! ;)