Caught in a street sweep...

Hi everybody! Although I've been following the advice of CERB for a couple years - I did something stupid a couple weeks ago. I stopped for a street worker. She was a cop. Got caught.

Personally, street girls have no appeal. I know the risks, and the problems. I don't want these girls to continue suffering under addiction or pimps. I knew better. But screwed up. Never again is an understatement.

Because I have no record, I get to go to a diversion program (aka John school).

Has anyone gone? What should I expect?

SPs? thoughts?

Guest s******ecan****
Hi everybody! Although I've been following the advice of CERB for a couple years - I did something stupid a couple weeks ago. I stopped for a street worker. She was a cop. Got caught.

Personally, street girls have no appeal. I know the risks, and the problems. I don't want these girls to continue suffering under addiction or pimps. I knew better. But screwed up. Never again is an understatement.

SPs? thoughts?

John school? Seems to me the curriculum should be all about CERB and how to do it the right way LOL.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, just make sure you remember the lesson.

Never been to one but I would expect they'll talk about STD's, exploitation of the girls, organized crime, community standards, Soddom and Gommorah, and how your actions represent the slippery slope into total anarchy and armageddon.

I would also expect a healthy dose of anti-male propoganda and indoctrination, they won't actually cut your balls off but will make it clear they think that wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Just smile, take lots of notes and say yes sir, yes ma'am a lot.

Guest W***ledi*Time
John school ... What should I expect?

Looks like it's similar to other John Schools. Some details (albeit 10 yrs old), posted by the Ottawa Peace and Environment Resource Centre, from "Peace and Environment News", November 1998, by Sharon Boddy:

http://www.perc.ca/PEN/1998-11/s-boddy.html

How the program works

To qualify to attend the school, a john must be over 18 years of age, a first-time offender with no criminal record, and must show remorse for his behaviour. Through a Regional Police Services' program called "pre-charge diversion," if the john attends the one-day program, no charges are laid against him.

The Salvation Army administers the program. The fee is $200 and subsidies are available for those who cannot afford it. Generally speaking, the program is run once a month, but more often as needed. "It's supply and demand," said Officer Terry Welsh of the District 2 Community Police Centre. "We'll do two classes a month if needed."

The curriculum involves a variety of presentations. First, a representative from the Crown Attorney's office speaks about the law and the consequences of the john's actions. The Regional Health Department then talks about the health risks associated with prostitution. "It's quite graphic," said Kampouris, "and talks about sexually transmitted diseases and what [the johns] are putting themselves and their families through." A former sex trade worker tells her story of what life is like on the street, and addresses some of the dangers that sex trade workers face, including drug dependency.

Officer Welsh makes the presentation on behalf of the Regional Police. "Basically, from our perspective, [the johns] tend to make work for us," he said. "If they become involved in criminal activity [because of prostitution], they're generally victims. If there's violence, they tend to cover up why they were on the street and what they were doing." A representative from the forensic psychiatry unit of The Royal Ottawa Hospital who specializes in sexual problem behaviour also makes a presentation. The hospital offers the johns quick access to programs that assist those with potentially dangerous behaviour.

Representatives from various communities then have an opportunity to speak. Kampouris asks direct questions of the johns so that the program is more interactive. "I don't want to just wag my finger at them," she said. "I discuss the initiatives that neighbours have taken in our community, such as taking down descriptions of the johns and license plate numbers of the cars." To illustrate his point, Vance Fandry, also of the HCA
[Hintonburg Community Association]
, passes out bags filled with used intravenous needles and condoms that he has found in his own neighbourhood. (At the HCA Annual General Meeting in September, members reported finding over 1,000 used needles in their community.)

One presentation in particular, however, seems to affect the johns more than any other. "There's a woman whose marriage was destroyed by her husband going to a prostitute. He brought home a disease and she contracted it," Kampouris said. "By the end of her presentation, some of the men are in tears." Officer Welsh concurred. "It's very emotional, and these people can connect the dots and connect [her story] to the people in their lives." (The evaluation of the pilot program reported that almost half, 43 percent, of the johns who attended the school are married. No women "johns" have participated in the program to date.)

When the program begins, Kampouris reported, "most of the johns don't have a clue about what [they are] doing to the neighbourhood. Some are defiant, others embarrassed, but most are eager to participate."

At the end, the johns are asked to fill out a survey, evaluating the program. "It's hard to evaluate [its] success," admitted Kampouris, but both she and Officer Welsh noted that no one who has been through the program has been arrested since. "One even apologized to me," she said, surprised. "Others just don't realize the effects of their behaviour."

.... The Ottawa John School is one of many across the country. The first school to be established in Canada was in Toronto, but similar schools operate in Hamilton-Wentworth, the Niagara and Waterloo regions, the Golden Horseshoe area around Toronto, and Winnipeg. Halifax is now in the process of setting up their own John School.

Thanks Wrinkled!

I just had a "sitting" with the Salvation Army at the courthouse. It's pretty much as your article describes. The fee though is a whopping $500! You'd think this was city of Ottawa politicians running this program. The good part is after all is done I get no criminal record. Still have to attend that information session but its not held until end of January. I'm assuming they have to catch enough johns to fill a classroom.

Biggest takeaway: do NOT stray from Cerb! EVER.

I don't recommend a SW either but if anyone 'gets the urge' don't discuss 'details' until she gets in your car. A Cop will not get in your car as a safety precaution.

Count yourself lucky, sometimes they publish the class list just to add salt to the wounds. Say hi to Dr Keon if he is there.

I agree SW are not the way to go, ladies on CERB are much more reliable, safe and definitely MUCH prettier.

Looks like it's similar to other John Schools. Some details (albeit 10 yrs old), posted by the Ottawa Peace and Environment Resource Centre, from "Peace and Environment News", November 1998, by Sharon Boddy:

http://www.perc.ca/PEN/1998-11/s-boddy.html

Sharon is a freelance writer I know and a good one.

Thanks for being our Internet "librarian" Wrinkled!

Thanks Wrinkled!

I just had a "sitting" with the Salvation Army at the courthouse. It's pretty much as your article describes. The fee though is a whopping $500! You'd think this was city of Ottawa politicians running this program. The good part is after all is done I get no criminal record. Still have to attend that information session but its not held until end of January. I'm assuming they have to catch enough johns to fill a classroom.

Biggest takeaway: do NOT stray from Cerb! EVER.

You may not have a criminal record but the police force will retain information of the circumstance which could come back and haunt. Diligence is paramount.

SPs? thoughts?

Thanks posting this. It should serve as a warning to anyone thinking of taking the risk, on many levels.

Guest S****tha Ott*wa

Hey Passionrock,

Sorry you had to go through all that. Experience for sure! Wonder if when you walk in the door will the guys be all chatting about their experiences. Maybe cerb should somehow advertise.. hey maybe a T-Shirt.

www.Cerb.ca rocks passion now!!! :-)

Can't wait to hear about the meeting.

What a waste of taxpayer money!

John school really pisses me off for the main reason that they really enjoy disseminating misinformation that reinforces harmful stereotypes about sex workers, particularly regarding the spread of STD's.

"It's quite graphic," said Kampouris, "and talks about sexually transmitted diseases and what [the johns] are putting themselves and their families through."

I've said it before and I'll say it again, any sexually active portion of the population is vulnerable to STD's. Being a prostitute does not necessarily make you any more vulnerable than anyone else (case in point: there is a 23 y/o guy in one of my classes who never uses condoms because "that's what birth control is for") and you cannot say that prostitutes are responsible for the spread of venereal diseases.

• Like 1

PR, could you take notes and give us a report after your SA (morality) session.

I think more than a few here are interested if they back up what they say with any stats.

Do they imply that if there were no SPs, then no STDs ?

And that married women don't fool around (I know different). :roll:

If I had to take that class (will never happen), I'd bring something like this with me, and be warned of confusing the issue with facts.

"Safer Sex

* Of sexually active adults aged 20-24, 44% reported having sex without a condom, compared with 33% of those aged 18-19 and 22% of those aged 15-17.14

* 29% of males aged 15-19 and 44% of males aged 20-24 do not use condoms.15

* For females, 51% aged 15-19 and 53% aged 20-24 do not use condoms.16

* Of young people who reported in 2003 that they had sex with multiple partners within the past year, approximately three in 10 had not used a condom the last time they had sex.17"

http://www.sexualityandu.ca/media-room/fact-sheets-1.aspx