Sad news: The Professor (aka Russell Johnson) from "Gilligan's Island" dies at age 89

Actor Russell Johnson, who played The Professor on "Gilligan's Island," has died.

He was 89.

Johnson's agent told Fox News that the actor passed away at his home in Washington State on Thursday morning of natural causes, with his wife and daughter by his side.

Johnson's co-star Dawn Wells, who played Mary Anne on the show, posted on her Facebook page: "My 2 favorite people are now gone. The professor past (sic) away this morning. My heart is broken."

"Russell was a true gentleman, a good father, a great friend, and 'the rest,'" Wells wrote.

Wells and Tina Louise, who played Ginger, are the show's last two surviving cast members.

Johnson starred on "Gilligan's Island," a classic TV comedy about a mismatched set of castaways stranded on a deserted island, from 1964 to 1967.

His character, high school science teacher Roy Hinkley, built generators and other gadgets out of scraps of junk found on the island. Johnson later joked that the one thing The Professor never figured out how to do was to fix the leaky boat so the group could get back to civilization.

Johnson started out in westerns and sci-fi movies, including "It Came From Outer Space." After "Gilligan's Island" he worked regularly with small parts on television.

What was your favourite Professor scene?

• Like 1

Spent a lot of time as a youngster enjoying that show. The professor was a fabulous character. I was quite envious that he got to spend all that time with Mary Ann.

Guest P**aq

I always wanted the professor to get laid, the guy seemed so nice but he was so buttoned up. He missed the best chance for a duo with Mary Anne and Ginger.