Victoria Documentary "The Brothel Project"

Victoria is my hometown, and where I worked (with the occasional working visit to VanCity) until I came to Ottawa.

The mentality in BC is extremely different than it is here, especially in Victoria. All the agencies are licensed, and each individual girl is licensed. There is no harassment or malice from law enforcement, and you never, ever have to worry about calling them for a bad date.

Society seems to have made less of an issue about the industry, making it easier to work and to access vital medical and legal care when needed. The idea of a co-op is not unlike a union in the respect that everyone gets taken care of. And I'm all for it, personally. I've always chided the government for failing to recognize that this profession will not disappear because they made a law about it. And if it was legalized and all the girls had a license and had their own medical testing clinics (or at least a few doctors here and there) and there were police who solely dealt with reports of bad dates (assault, non-consensual sex [rape], robbery, etc) everything would be so much better.

The girls would have no excuse for not getting tested, which will cut down on the spread of STD's and STIs - curable and not. It will also allow for a greater sense of community within the community. These review boards are great, don't get me wrong, but they are no substitution for a strong, visceral social network.

I wonder how many people I will recognize on this program? I'll download it after it airs for sure!

Additional Comments:

Victoria is my hometown, and where I worked (with the occasional working visit to VanCity) until I came to Ottawa.

The mentality in BC is extremely different than it is here, especially in Victoria. All the agencies are licensed, and each individual girl is licensed. There is no harassment or malice from law enforcement, and you never, ever have to worry about calling them for a bad date.

Society seems to have made less of an issue about the industry, making it easier to work and to access vital medical and legal care when needed. The idea of a co-op is not unlike a union in the respect that everyone gets taken care of. And I'm all for it, personally. I've always chided the government for failing to recognize that this profession will not disappear because they made a law about it. And if it was legalized and all the girls had a license and had their own medical testing clinics (or at least a few doctors here and there) and there were police who solely dealt with reports of bad dates (assault, non-consensual sex [rape], robbery, etc) everything would be so much better.

The girls would have no excuse for not getting tested, which will cut down on the spread of STD's and STIs - curable and not. It will also allow for a greater sense of community within the community. These review boards are great, don't get me wrong, but they are no substitution for a strong, visceral social network.

I wonder how many people I will recognize on this program? I'll download it after it airs for sure!

Guest S***e

I'm very much looking forward to viewing this. I am forever hopeful that the pendulum will swing in a similar such direction in Ottawa and I believe it will to some extent. There are some fine efforts being made by local workers in this vein to whom we as clients should be supportive. The Victoria model has its merits.

Global BC is gong to show it Wednesday evening at 1am Eastern time on a program called "Global Currents". Ch 1152 on Bell Express View, perhaps a Roger's or Shaw customer can provide times and channels on those networks.

Guest W***ledi*Time
This film ("The Brothel Project") is scheduled to air on Global TV on Wednesday 9 June 2010, at 10pm, as part of the documentary series "Currents" ...

(ha ha ... bold added ... it's not just the guys who don't read everything ... sorry, just teasing ...)

Just a reminder that this is on tonight.

p.s. This film was nominated for a 2010 Leo Award in the category of Best Short Documentary Program.

great thanks! I worked in Victoria for a couple of months over a decade ago.. no licensing for me then at least. I love Victoria! It's sooo beautiful.

I was looking forward to watching this but I'm at work and missed it! :neutral: Anyone know if it will be on again or, even better, available online somewhere?

just finished watching it.. you didn't miss much in my opinion.. they try to see if they can open a legal brothel.. you can't. Simple as that. The laws have to change first.

just finished watching it.. you didn't miss much in my opinion.. they try to see if they can open a legal brothel.. you can't. Simple as that. The laws have to change first.

it almost felt like a waste when the laws have to change before people can accept prostitution as a profession.

I agree with you Carrie. Maybe it will bring more attention to the silly laws we have