Time Management: who is responsible?

I'm still relatively new at this and I'll start by saying that I never purposefully stayed over the time unless I was explicitly told to stay ("you can stay longer if you like" - "would you like to grab a bite to eat" or something similar). Even then, I never assume it's a free pass for me to stay longer than the agreed upon allotted time on every visit.

But there has been some instances where we don't realize that time's up until an hour or so after it's been up (I book longer appointments, as an hour or less seem far too short). When that happens I feel bad and I leave a tip which I would do anyways and I apologize for going over, and then I'm assured that it's no problem. That doesn't stop me from feeling kinda bad as I never want to impose myself or overstay my welcome.

So my question is this. Should I feel bad? Do I bare any responsibility for going over? Or is it all on the SP to manage her own time?

That's an interesting question. I could do the flirty thing and tell you there is no clock. We all know that's not true. We have our schedules and need to balance them with making it feel like a non rushed experience.

Here is my opinion, it really depends on you....

A provider never wants to put you in the position where she has to push you out the door.

If she needs to have you leave, you will need to be able to read her queues to know when it's time to go.

If you are a person who cannot pick up on those subtle messages then you may need to play time cop yourself. It is the providers responsibility to tell you the session is over. It's incumbent on you to be able to read the clues that she is telling you that.

It's never fun to have to boldy say it's time to go, and you don't want to to misinterpreted as that client who wants to drag a 45 minute session into 2 hours and stress the lady out.

We try as hard as possible to not watch the clock but sometimes we need a little cooperation to keep our schedules.

xoxo

Kelly

• Like 5

So my question is this... Do I bare any responsibility for going over? Or is it all on the SP to manage her own time?

It's a shared responsibility, and for that reason it's a good idea to simply assume it's yours. Maintain a general sense of time during the session, and know when it's time to start making motions to go.

If you think the SP might genuinely want you to stay longer, you can say something like: "Oh! I see our time's almost up. I'd love to stay and talk some more but I don't want to intrude." If she really wants you to stay, she'll let you know. If not, she'll smoothly find a way to let you know that too. But don't just decide to stick around until she says something: it's kind of inconsiderate to put the SP in a position where she has to ask you to leave.

That said, if your sense of time really does slip away from you and you find you've exceeded your appointment's boundaries, then you did the right thing -- offer a tip for your oversight and the additional time you've consumed. I've done exactly this before -- we were so caught up in a discussion and the flow was so natural and comfortable that I didn't notice the time at all, so I gave her something to cover the extra.*

Once again, if the SP was just plain enjoying the extra company, she can just decline the tip. But it's her choice, so offer the tip and let her make the decision.

* Some years ago, I also made the opposite mistake: one SP and I were getting along famously and I totally lost track of time until just moments before the end of the session. I kind of panicked and very clumsily said something like "Oh! My time is up! Sorry!" and practically leaped to my feet and fled her place while dressing myself. We traded some e-mails later in which I explained, and she said "Yeah, I wondered what was up!" Shame, what a wasted opportunity for a nice evening. I've learned since then.

• Like 4

I think from now on I'll set my own alarm for about 10-15 minutes past my time just in case.

I think I can usually read the "time's up" clues. If I'm offered to wash up or the girl gets dressed or asks me "when will I see you again?" I assume that's saying that my time's up or almost up without her explicitly saying so.

I don't wanna be seen as the kind of client who is purposefully trying to extend his appointment as long as possible.

• Like 1

It is a shared responsibility for sure... but I have to say... a good provider (ma or Sp does not need a clock... you become aware of time without even noticing it... yes no one wants to be put on the position of kicking you out the door and ypu should also know that if you reserve a time or an appointment length You are entitle to it.. but at the same time you cannot expect more than what you have prepared for...

Personally I like to have time in between appts to allow for some flexibility when needed.. so that neither you as a client, me as a provider .. or even the next schedule appointment gets to suffer...

is about everyone being happy ... and spending quality time :)

• Like 5