Pooner Diaries: Secrets

I know her secrets.

Oh, not all of them, to be sure. But I know some of her little ones. I know what book she's reading right now, because I saw it on her night table. I know what size clothes she wears and the brands she prefers, because I've glimpsed the labels on her clothes as I've softly, slowly undressed her.

I know a few of her bigger secrets. I know where she grew up. I know about the tomboy parts of her life and also the girly girl parts. I know who her idols are. I know about some of the moments that have given her the greatest joy in her life, and I know what are her greatest achievements.

But I also know a very few secrets that are bigger yet. I also know about her lowest moments. I know about the most horrible, terrible things in her life. The mistakes that she has made, that will haunt her until her last breath. I know about the horrors she has faced, not only from the evil that she has come across in her life but also from the carelessness and thoughtlessness of others. I know of the things that are never far from her mind, though they she only very rarely speaks of them.

She has told her deepest secrets to me, of her own free will. She's whispered them to me as we lay in her bed, in each others' arms. She's told them to me without my even asking.

I like that when she's with me, she gives me her all. And I know she likes that I give back, and that I give as good as I get. For you see, she knows my secrets too. And I love that in telling her my greatest triumphs and my deepest secrets, far from driving her to a distance, it's made her want to bring me nearer.

I'm not going to tell you what her secrets are. You see, I tell you this, and it's not because I want to tell you that I know something that you probably don't. It's because I want to tell you about my own secret joy that she has trusted me as much as she has. I love that she has treated me as a true lover, and not just as a business acquaintance. Although I know all too well that I'm neither, but I'm at a place in that shadowy no-man's land somewhere in between. You see, even though I know all these secrets, I don't know the most public thing of all about her. I don't even know her name. Her real name. And she doesn't know mine.

But I do know that there's truly only room for one man in her life. And I've tasted the bitter-sweetness of knowing that I'm not him. He's a lucky man, although perhaps he doesn't truly realize it. Or so I've gathered. Or perhaps I'd just hoped.

The world outside is lost to us, when we're together. But the world comes flooding back, and then some, once I step out her door. So we'll go on, she and I. We'll go on in this hopeless semi-romance. Our hearts blossom when we're with each other. We're lovers, truly, for an all too short time.

And that is our one shared secret. And it's the only one I'll tell you today, my friends.

Additional Comments:

Well, that was quick. Thanks, Midnite!

• Like 4