Want to hear a nice story?

Because of my involvement in animal issues and rescue I encounter sadness a lot and often not the nicest people. But sometimes I'm passed on or experience a story of kindness and hope here's the most recent. I hope it brings a smile

http://dogjournal.tumblr.com/post/105005012623/firefighter-adopts-dog-who-survived-car-accident

I know I'm being redundant but this message is worth repeating-if you see an animal outside in the cold for extended periods PLEASE report it, if it's to cold for you it is for them. If you are giving a pet as a gift, which is really never a good idea, please give it to a responsible and wanting person. If you are searching for a dog or cat or any pet PLEASE adopt millions are euthanized yearly and as we speak, just because there is no room for them. There are all types of dog/cat breeds and other pets available through pounds, shelters, rescue groups. Older dogs are as great and trainable as a puppy and they'll love you the same. Thanks for caring

• Like 5

I think a couple of things deserve repeating

If you are giving a pet as a gift, which is really never a good idea, please give it to a responsible and wanting person.

Under rare circumstance, it may be the perfect gift, but as Cristy said above, owning a pet is a massive responsibility, with a lot of costs associated. Pets become a part of the family, and it is imperative that at least one or two members of the family feel the animal out first to see if they are a good fit.

If you are searching for a dog or cat or any pet PLEASE adopt millions are euthanized yearly and as we speak, just because there is no room them. There are all types of breeds and pets available through pounds, shelters, rescue groups.

This is another point I completely agree with. I adopted a cat from a shelter, and he is the best animal companion I've ever had. He was already slightly old, but he has given my family immense joy. Kittens and puppies are adorable and oh so cute. But I'd say if you can, check out the older ones, they have more developed personalities and habits. You can see if they are affectionate or the ones that like to stay away.

• Like 3