I was reading through Carrie's handjob tax thread and started to get a little worked up (I hear ya Pete!)... I figured maybe starting a new thread for a little rant on taxes may be more appropriate

BownChickaBown - "PPS (Pay Per Stroke)" - seriously! It's likely only a matter of time! Oh no, wait, that won't be the Government though, that'll be Bell or Rogers.

I personally don't mind taxes... I just can't stand the way they're using them...

They keep taking more and more and giving less and less. I can't figure how we can all be paying so much tax but the government still needs to cut back on things like healthcare and education...

I'm not a politician or an economist, an accountant or even a bookkeeper (admittedly my perspective is probably a little naive and/or ignorant), BUT it really seems to me that there shouldn't be a need to cut back on, or privatize anything with the amount of money collected by the Canadian government in taxes...

Where in the hell is all that money going?!? Am I wrong in a assuming that our tax dollars are not being spent very well?

pretty much the reason for the high taces as far as i'm concerned is the fact that the politicians are getting paid way way above minimum wage.

it is a public job and should be paid at the standards they set ignoring the fact that they get alot of perks that come with their jobs.

i would probably think that the 2nd highest recipient of tax money would be the military and the research involved but i cant clarify or would not disrespect the service men out there. With research though, does come along wasteful spending so it has to be looked at somehow.

I do believe if the country were to somehow have a population explotion then government revenue would increase which should lead to less taxes.

Although as from july, with the new harmonization of taxes in ontario and BC for instance, convenience stores and other small local ones might be seeing the raw end of this new rule as they would have to hike or standardize their prices to this new ruling which makes expenses generally worse for all of us.

This is where your tax dollars went in 2005/6, I imagine there will only be minor changes from then. The largest benefactor from tax dollars were us, or at least those of us collecting welfare, child support, EI, GIS, etc. Defence spending which includes the military gets 7%

http://www.fin.gc.ca/taxdollar06/text/html/taxdollar06_-eng.asp

Thanks for the link rickoshadows -interesting read! :smile:

The current politcal story is the refusal of every party to allow the federal auditor to examine expenses and spending by the House itself. And these people, where even the most unimportant members make well into 6 figures plus perks, wonder why they are generally distrusted by the public? The political machine has long ago forgotten they work for the taxpayers and are consumed by a sense of entitlement. Want to see where a lot of tax dollar go? Walk into any big store sometime in April when most office budgets come to their fiscal ends and you can see people in suits buying TVs, DVD and Blu-Ray players, iPods, jewellry and other "essentials" to blow their budgets and ensure they get as much 9or more) money the following year. Every cent spent should be made public and accountable to the taxpayers, the ones who sponsor these shopping sprees.