On Tour? Restaurant Recommendations in your Town

With so many of us touring and traveling this summer, it would be nice to have the inside scoop on where the best cuisine in town is... whatever your tastes may be. I know that all of us have a favourite place... whatever the city... so here goes...

Haveli - Indian cuisine - Byward Market. I LOVE Indian food, and this one comes highly recommended. I figure if I go with Indian people to an Indian restaurant and they approve, it must be good!!!!

Sweet Basil - Thai - Bank & Heron. Found this one quite by mistake, wasn't sure where to go, but absolutely loved the food and service.

Lindenhof - German/European - Preston just south of Gladstone. Found this when I was dating a German girl... big portions, delicious food... and the Rouladen... mmmmmmm, being a carnivore, who can resist meat wrapped in more meat???

The Works - Burgers!!! - Everywhere in Ottawa!!! - I think every buddy that has ever come to visit me Ottawa wants at least one trip to the Works... tasty burgers, huge portions and a good price!

Now... give me some of your faves!

I could go on and on with restaurants but here's a few that are top of mind. I just love good food, nice wine and a great atmosphere. I thought I'd list them by suggestions of type of ambiance, it's just a guideline obviously it's not a hard and fast rule. I went to Didier with some business colleagues before so it wasn't at all romantic but the formal dining lends itself to both atmsopheres, Bohmer would also be suitable for both but being on Ossington it is surrounded by a bunch of bars and clubs so I would select Bohmer if I wanted to take a lady out for cocktails instead.

Anyway I hope you like my suggestions! :)

Gilead - lunch/brunch

The food is fresh and local, the menu changes and it's always a nice relaxed atmosphere, great quality food for your money. The restaurant is owned by Jaime Kennedy and is located just east of the downtown core and a short walk to the distillery district.

Bohmer - date night/night out

Not much to say, it's one of the hot spots right now, they spent a lot of money renovating the place (I think it was an autobody shop before) and it shows. The atmosphere is still relaxed, you can wear jeans and a nice top, relax have a cocktail and enjoy the evening. The food is amazing and they have been accommodating in regards to dietary requests, they mix a great cocktail. It's on the Ossington strip so if it's a weekend expect a busy 25-45 very mixed crowd, everything from the Toronto hipsters to the dressed to impress ladies & gents. Ossington is an interesting area right now.

Didier - romantic date (formal)

I was at Didier the other day and it was fantastic, it's classical french food. They currently have a Prix Fixe of 3 courses for $50 with vegan and vegetarian options available if that is your choice which is a great option as well you may bring your own wine should you choose (corkage fee is $20). At Yonge/St.Clair this is midtown, the restaurant is on Yonge St. so parking can be a challenge but taxis are readily available. The restaurant is fairly traditional but a suit and tie are certainly not required.

Julies Cuban - romantic date (casual)

It's a tiny little restaurant with a funky little patio and the best mojitos and corn fritters around. The decor is nothing fancy, in fact it's downright tacky in some ways but it's tucked into a side street in the west end and it's quiet and and absolute perfect date restaurant. The plates are all shared too so you can sample a lot of dishes though some tell me this can get rather expensive if you have a large appetite, I never really get past 2 dishes but I know some men that get up to 4 or 5 which will add up fast.

Someplace I've yet to be but is on my list, I'll have to report back however I do love the concept and with it's pedigree I can't imagine it could go wrong is Ruby Watchco.

http://rubywatchco.ca/

If you are coming to Toronto it's definitely a place to check out and again a very reasonable $49 per person for your meal.

Thanks Kyra!!! I was hoping that we could get a national flavour to the list of recommendations and as always you delivered the goods!!! ;)