Which is better?

This may have been addressed already. Actually, it's most likely this has been addressed already. Please forgive me, teaching me to use Lyla is assuredly like teaching your great grandmother how Facebook works. It's long and tiring, I'm going to grumble about it and disappear for five minutes to see if there's any yogurt in the fridge.

(If there is a way to search posts by keywords then I'd love to know.)

Anyways. I'm certain I've stated before my wander into this business was vaguely blindly (and thank god I found this community) and has only really improved since I found a proper mentor and friends -- and learnt the terminology too.

I'm 80 at heart.

But since now I've actually gotten some understanding of this world, I've been wondering whether it's better to remain independent (and give myself varying ulcers with each troll I've had to interact with) or maybe I should see if I'm qualified to join an agency/spa? Of course this would demand a lot of work/research before I knew what to do or even how to go about applying, (I don't want it to seem like I think everything's super easy and will turn out the way I want) but the idea of be if in a more controlled environment with much more experienced girls to interact with as well, is quite tempting. But of course, the freedom of doing everything on my own is fun too-- but maybe something better left to look towards in the future, after I've more settled?

Mm... /:

• Like 1

My approach to just about everything in life is to boil it down to the simplest forms I can and then go from there.

So from my perspective, some factors to consider are:

MONEY

As an indy you keep all your money, but your overhead (ads, phone, etc.) has to be paid by you. Take the time to do a bit of math - factor in reasonable estimates for monthly income, then subtract overhead from your indy side and agency fees from your agency side, and see which option makes you more satisfied.

TIME

As an indy, you have to invest some time into making ads, posting ads, fielding phone calls, e-mails and text messages. Now, you can control these things if you so choose as well. If you really don't like text messages, just state "no texts" in your ads. Done. But there is still a fair bit of time put into these things. And let's face it: not everyone who contacts us is polite and friendly. You have to decide not only what methods of contact you prefer, but also if this is worthwhile for you after taking into account the difference in monthly income as an indy vs agency.

CONTROL

As an indy, you are you. Unaffiliated with anyone else. As an agency girl if the agency gets a bad name because of a few bad seeds, your business may also suffer.

There is also the hazard of having a manager or drivers who make you uncomfortable or are not professional and pleasant to you.

And as an indy, you have the added bonus of being able to have the client's phone number and/or e-mail and/or board handle rather than the agency just giving you a name and a time he'll be coming by.

It's pretty easy to see that I am biased towards being an indy, but that's my own love of total autonomy speaking. You should consider those factors, in the order I mentioned them: money, time and control. Really take the time to think it through, every little detail. Write it out if you like to have visuals.

• Like 2

I am in agreement with Kate here on this.

The difference with being an indy to being part of an agency is vast.

As an indy, you definitely have more control over who you see, how you advertise, when you want to work, and how you want to work.

You are responsible for your own reputation, not at the mercy of an agency if someone there decides to gain a bad reputation at that agency.

Agencies tend to take a large cut of the income, and you have no control over what they say you can make, you are responsible for negotiating after you are with a gentleman what you are going to offer and at what rate your time is then. Can be overbearing, especially if you are new to this.

I have done both, been a part of an agency and been independent. I love the freedom of being indy.

There is a little more work involved with being indy, but the pros definitely outweigh the cons on it.

Have a website, post some pics, state your time for companionship and take it from there. Choose how you want the gentlemen to contact you.

I wouldn't go back to an agency now no matter what.

But, that is my own opinion.

Just remember that you are in control of your own destiny here, and have your rules in place as you move forward.

Don't let anyone bully you into doing anything you don't want to do, and just have fun doing this. It can be a lot of fun when you have been here for a while.

• Like 2

As someone who used to run agencies and who is now an independent I'll say there are pro's and cons to both. I'd allow some girls to do both when they were with me and that worked great for all.

Kate covered most of the info you need so you'll just have to decide which way you want to go. If you decide on an agency research it and make sure they're known and reputable. A good agency will still allow you independence if you prove yourself trustworthy. But I'll second Kates comment concerning being biased towards independence, I much prefer it and would never work or run an agency again, to many headaches!

What ever you decide and where ever and for whom ever you work, you'll find trolls, asses and other nerdowells and good people too:)At least when you're independent you only have clients to deal with, with an agency you may have to deal with asshole girls, drivers, owners and receptionists.

I wouldn't let the bad get you down, as you become more experienced you'll learn how to tell them apart and how to avoid them, we all learn at different speeds so don't be to hard on yourself. There are many here who are easy to talk to, will answer questions and offer any needed advice. You just have to ask:) Best of luck.