I volunteered with a kid at Boozefest (Bluesfest) last summer who had Cerbral palsy. We loved working together so much after the first day, we rearranged our schedules so we were partnered up each shift. Physical and/or mental disability has absolutley nothing to do with who a person is. Case in point: Stephen Hawking. Taking someone at face value - especially in the case of physical ailments - is a bad idea. A lack of understanding and a serious deficit of compassion is the root of these kinds of prejudices. Sad that in a world full of beautiful diversity, some are still in the Stone Age.

Posted via Mobile Device

Once upon a time, in a far far land, I was a different kind of service provider if you get my drift. The only reason I can see for not meeting with someone with a disability would be because of my own affliction. I cannot be comfortable providing an outcall. I did meet the sweetest of gents one time who could not climb the stairs at my place so we had a ton of fun on the couch and on a big mountain of pillows! :)

Meg,

I can understand refusing a client based on the fact that you can not accommodate a physically disabled client. Most of the women who turned me down did not express that that was the problem, although two actually did. I even had one lady say to me, "sorry but I don't see cripples" that was without a doubt the single rudest turn down I ever got. I don't think any service provider here would ever be that disgustingly rude to her client. In fact the overwhelming majority of ladies here seem quite upset that this is even an issue at all.

Guest S***dst***

...I've even had a provider ask me if it's possible to catch cerebral palsy by having sex with a client who has it. Just for those of you reading this who don't know the answer is ABSOLUTELY not. There are exactly 2 ways to get cerebral palsy, ...

Don't quite remember the whole story but one of my professors told us a story about one of their friends being mugged. The guy got away without injury or even losing his wallet by pretending he was stricken with a mental/physical illness.

While this action in itself may seem offensive to anyone who is disabled, the point is: the muggers thought they they would catch what he had, so they ran away.

I've been shocked at how irrational some people can be. Call it base instinct if you will but with the amount of information, and the ease of it's access, it's not hard to inform yourself on any subject.

(no thread jacking intended, even if it is a month old)

Guest O***wa**W
Don't quite remember the whole story but one of my professors told us a story about one of their friends being mugged. The guy got away without injury or even losing his wallet by pretending he was stricken with a mental/physical illness.

While this action in itself may seem offensive to anyone who is disabled, the point is: the muggers thought they they would catch what he had, so they ran away.

I've been shocked at how irrational some people can be. Call it base instinct if you will but with the amount of information, and the ease of it's access, it's not hard to inform yourself on any subject.

(no thread jacking intended, even if it is a month old)

I have heard a similar story, but with with a woman about to be assaulted or raped as the subject, claiming to have an STD.