SCOTUS and gay marriage

Guest *Ste***cque**

One of my very best friends died almost 20 years ago because he felt he couldn't accept his sexuality. He moved away in his 20's, took unhealthy risks, lived a secret, gay lifestyle and eventually wound up with AIDS. I knew he was gay but he never would acknowledge it, even when I told him it's OK if he is. It wouldn't matter to me. Unfortunately, right to the very end he could not admit to me this core part of who he was. He explained his illness as a blood virus and cancer and never mentioned AIDS. He gave his Mom permission to tell me afterwards. As a result we couldn't have a deeper connection and I always felt we never had an honest goodbye during his final days.

It's with those memories that I welcome the Supreme Courts decision in the US regarding gay rights. Maybe it will make it easier for those still struggling and denying who they are.

It was a very good week in law for the United States, that's for sure.

President Obama's eulogy for the Charleston shooting victims was again eloquent, moving, and... graceful. Sad that this duty was necessary, but uplifting to see it done so well.

It's a good time to be alive.

• Like 5

It was a very good week in law for the United States, that's for sure.

It was. The battle is far from over, though. I'm sure the more regressive elements of the country will prove to be ingenious in putting obstacles in the way of people they disapprove of getting married, and it'll take time to sort that out.

And if schedenfreude is your thing... head over to Fox News (or any similarly-aligned website) and have a look at the comments :) I'm amazed the country isn't awash in fire and brimstone already...

• Like 1

And if schedenfreude is your thing... head over to Fox News (or any similarly-aligned website) and have a look at the comments :) I'm amazed the country isn't awash in fire and brimstone already...

Oh, I definitely did. Comments on related articles were coming so fast and furious you could barely read them. And I do mean furious! :)

It's a first time for them towards a more open country and less bigotry. Marriage per itself isn't the most important in my eyes compare to the fact that now same sex-couple have hospital visiting rights, can do taxes together, right each other as spouse on their wills etc.

People are saying it's not "enough" ther eis always some problems...true.

But it's one pie slice at the time. You can't have the whole pie at the same time. Especially from Americans

• Like 2

Oh, I definitely did. Comments on related articles were coming so fast and furious you could barely read them. And I do mean furious! :)

Hehe. Yep. Way faster than I could read.

I was also amused by the fact that all four conservative justices felt the need to write butthurt dissents, and by the inability of anyone anywhere to explain the fundamental difference between this verdict and Loving.

Edit: just found this. Here is your cartoon for the week, everyone.

CIoFIcWUEAAmdyq.png

• Like 1