Pakistan - did we empty our hearts over Haiti

From what I glean from the various news sources the flood disaster in Pakistan has had a much greater impact in terms of loss of human life than the Haiti earthquake. And the tragedy has a much greater potential adverse impact on the whole world, economically, in human terms, in security terms.

Yet, we Canadians, one of the most generous nations in terms of putting our hands in our pockets and giving generously to the cause of international disasters have seemed to keep our money in our wallets and purses.

Surely, in the face of the enormity of this disaster, we can dig into our pockets again and make another contribution. A contribution that will not only assist the millions of homeless but will also assist world security.

From what I glean from the various news sources the flood disaster in Pakistan has had a much greater impact in terms of loss of human life than the Haiti earthquake. And the tragedy has a much greater potential adverse impact on the whole world, economically, in human terms, in security terms.

Yet, we Canadians, one of the most generous nations in terms of putting our hands in our pockets and giving generously to the cause of international disasters have seemed to keep our money in our wallets and purses.

Surely, in the face of the enormity of this disaster, we can dig into our pockets again and make another contribution. A contribution that will not only assist the millions of homeless but will also assist world security.

I totally agree with you in terms of human loss; the suffer of the mankind is our own suffer, but to be carious hope the given money and other resources if provided, really reach to the hands of needy and seriously affected people. Hope the Pakistani militarily controlled government will not use it for its regional ambitions and stop supporting the terrorist. How many nice and heroic Canadians from our brave, proud peacemaking troops died because of its government supported terrorists as the recent documents of wiki leaks reveals outstanding prove. We follow our proud Canadian and humanitarian values that has a respectful name in the world. As always we Canadians are ready to extend our hand to those who are the most needy and deprived people. I am sorry if I am out of the track. I love my Canadian identity and my people.

One major (but seldom considered) factor is sheer politics. Pakistan doesn't have the greatest track record for human (especially women's) rights, and they are well-known to harbor terrorists.

While this should not stop people from contributing to relief efforts for the millions of innocent citizens homeless and facing starvation, disease, and utter destruction of agricultrual lands, it does. And it speaks a great deal about how politics really affect just how much people are willing to help one another. Pakistan needs help in a big way. People are suffering in ways most of us couldn't fathom. If you can you should help. But many aren't because of what is nothing less than prejudice and discrimination.

Posted via Mobile Device

From what I remember when I worked at the House of Commons, we (Canada) is always giving aid to some country in the world and not just during times of natural disasters.

Not to say Haiti was any more deserving of Pakistan, but Haiti is the poorest country in the western hemisphere, so the earthquake there added to the burden of country in crisis already.

So many causes...not so much money to go around.

Guest W***ledi*Time

Pakistani flooding was a slow-developing story, with the situation gradually deteriorating for weeks, during the summer when many potential donors are on vacation. Flooding in Pakistan occurs repeatedly, with the last major flood 5 years ago. The Haiti earthquake was a sudden and galvanizing story with blanket media coverage. It occured not long after Christmas, when many people are particularly sensitive to others' needs.

Pakistan is a big country, far away, with an "image deficit"; it has the resources to develop and support a Nuclear Weapons arsenal, for example. Haiti is a small country, close by, with little resources of its own.

GDP: Pakistan $167 billion; Haiti $7 billion.

Pakistan -- Nuclear Weapons; $5.2 billion military budget; 650,000 active military personnel

Haiti -- $30 million military budget; 8500 police officers.

No doubt all these factors have played into donors' decisions. None of which changes the overwhelming fact that the need is there in Pakistan, where a tremendous human disaster continues to unfold.

As usual WIT, you summed it up perfectly! That's what I meant, but I didn't have those numbers at my fingertips!

Guest Ou**or**n

Very good summary WIT - this is one your countless excellent posts that will definitely get my vote for most valued member.

I would also like to add that after the Haiti earthquake it was quite clear that Haiti had absolutely no means of its own to help itself. It had no functioning central government, it had no financial resources and it had no internal army or other infrastructure to put aid measures in place.

While Pakistan is suffering a greater disaster it however does have all of the above items to help itself to a much greater degree. Additionally Pakistan has a much larger and wealthier expatriate community that can send aid.

Finally when I sent money for Haiti it was to the Red Cross and I was confident it would be used directly by the Red Cross as they were operating directly in Haiti and I trusted the money would be used effectively.

In the case of Pakistan, I worry my money would go to a Pakistani agency where there may be some level of corruption and skimming of my aid. The corruption of the Pakistani military is well known and pervasive. After our contributions to Ethiopia many years ago we learned that large percentages were being skimmed by corrupt agencies and officials. I acknowledge that this is all 'fear, uncertainty and doubt' but they do play a role.

I believe I heard yesterday that Pakistan stated they would be willing to let a third party administer the aid money. I think they realize themsleves that their track record is not a good one.

Has anyone heard how much their fellow Islamic governments are putting up. Turkey has stepped up, but \i haven't heard of any others.

Guest W***ledi*Time

This should have a positive effect on Canadian donations:

The Canadian government announced on Sunday it will
match all private donations to registered charities to bolster aid efforts in Pakistan
, now in the third week of its worst floods in memory.

Conservative House leader John Baird told reporters on Sunday morning the government will match all donations made betweenAug. 2 and Sept. 12, in addition to $33-million already committed to relief efforts.

“For every eligible donation by individual Canadians to Canadian registered charities and earmarked for efforts to assist Pakistan relief efforts, Canada will contribute an equivalent amount to the Pakistan flood relief fund,” said Mr. Baird.

The strategy is similar to ones employed in the wake of the earthquake inHaiti this past January and the Indian Ocean tsunami in 2005.

Mr. Baird said Canada contribution to relief efforts place it fifth on the list of international donors.

Hunger and fears of water-borne disease have become an increasing worry as Pakistanis struggle to cope with the flood. As many as 20-million people are believed to have had their livelihood disrupted, if not destroyed, by the water.

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/world/Ottawa+match+Canadians+donations+Pakistan+relief+efforts/3429393/story.html#ixzz0xLee8gTv

Here's a great article from the BBC about this issue.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-11035270

Very helpful explanations. The comments at the bottom explain what people feel.

xoxo Amelia