It has been said that one can use numbers and statistics to prove anything. That is probably correct however I saw a statistic today that blew my mind, of course depending on its veracity.

Following the latest mass shooting in the United States yesterday (for the past twelve months it's averaged one per month for these types of shootings), CNN posted the following statistic.

2004-2013 Terrorist inflicted deaths in the US - 36

2004-2013 Deaths caused by guns in the US - 316,445 (murder, suicide, etc.)

Republican presidential candidates are now arguing for more guns, that schools and the public should be better armed and therefore that will stop these incidents. Hmmmm. I am rather mind boggled at the logic.

Edited by mrrnice2
Removed a paragraph that was off topic.
  • Like 2

The problem with statistics is that the numbers are released, but the criterion are not.

For example, to be considered a cancer survivor you have to live 5 years after having cancer. Doesn't matter if you drop dead 6 years later from remission, you are still counted in the statistic of a cancer survivor.

They are inherently biased - to varying degrees - and I don't put much stock in them, especially when statistics are all someone brings to the table during an otherwise intelligent debate.

That being said, with the issue of gun violence in America, there is obviously a major problem going on there in regards to death by gun(s). The States has a serious problem, no bones about it.

Just my two cents on the matter...

• Like 3

Guest *Ste***cque**

I think it was Mark Twain who once said "There are lies, damned lies and statistics". Statistics being the most deceiving, in my opinion. They can be so easily manipulated yet still get quoted as an unassailable truth by many. We should always question statistics. I can have one hand in the freezer and the other over a flame and statistically speaking, I should be comfortable.

As for the gun fatalities vs terrorist deaths, those figures sound reasonable. So why do we focus on terrorists so much and ignore gun violence? Someone wants us to be distracted for some reason. Trying to figure who and what is almost always a useful exercise. Just don't let it make you paranoid! :)

The US of A may be rather messed up but it also produces brilliant artists like Cheryl Wheeler, Christine Lavin and Loudon Wainwright who all deserve more attention as they provide thoughtful commentary on their (our?) society.

Cheryl Wheeler apparently received threats from the NRA for this one:

Her ode to the NRA's typical American family on vacation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Zw8NmxItE

Enjoy!

• Like 1