Violence agains men is real!!!!

Battered Men - The Hidden Side of Domestic Violence

Battered Men in Washington

Domestic Violence Against Men

25,473 Washington Men a Year

According to National Violence Against Women Survey Estimates

by Bert H. Hoff

Every year, 1,510,455 women and 834,732 men are victims of physical violence by an intimate. This is according to a Nov. 1998 Department of Justice report on the National Violence Against Women Survey. What does that mean? Every 37.8 seconds, somewhere in America a man is battered. Every 20.9 seconds, somewhere in America a woman is battered. Every 20.6 minutes another man in Washington is battered.

In Washington, that's 42,824 women and 25,473 men. That includes 2,754 men on whom a knife was used, 5,508 men threatened with a knife and 11,016 men hit with an object.

There may be a trend toward less violence against women, more violence against men, or both. While 76.5% of the people reporting physical violence by an intimate in their lifetime were women, only 62.5% of the people reporting physical violence by an intimate in the last year were women, and 37.5% were men.

The data show that men are more likely to have a knife used on them or to be threatened with a knife, hit with an object, kicked, bitten or have something thrown at them. Women are more likely to beaten up, threatened with a gun, choked, victims of drowning attempts, have their hair pulled or be pushed, grabbed or shoved.

Buttons for Singles

In Previous 12 Months

Percentage Number in US Number in WA

Type of Violence Women Men Women Men Women Men

Rape 0.2% 0.0% 201,394 - 5,710 -

Physical Assault 1.3% 0.9% 1,309,061 834,732 37,114 25,473

Rape and/or Physical Assault 1.5% 0.9% 1,510,455 834,732 42,824 25,473

62.5% 37.5%

What does that mean? 834,732 men battered a year means every 37.9 seconds, another man is battered. Every 20.9 seconds, another woman is battered. Every 20.6 minutes another man in Washington is battered.

Type of Assault Women Men Women Men Men

Total 22.1 7.4 100% 100% 25,473

Threw something 8.1 4.4 36.7% 59.5% 15,146

Pushed, grabbed, shoved 18.1 5.4 81.9% 73.0% 18,589

Pulled hair 9.1 2.3 41.2% 31.1% 7,917

Slapped, hit 16 5.5 72.4% 74.3% 18,933

Kicked, bit 5.5 2.6 24.9% 35.1% 8,950

Choked, tried to drown 6.1 0.5 27.6% 6.8% 1,721

Hit with object 5 3.2 22.6% 43.2% 11,016

Beat up 8.5 0.6 38.5% 8.1% 2,065

Threatened with gun 3.5 0.4 15.8% 5.4% 1,377

Threatened with knife 2.8 1.6 12.7% 21.6% 5,508

Used gun 0.7 0.1 3.2% 1.4% 344

Used knife 0.9 0.8 4.1% 10.8% 2,754

Source: National Institute of Justice, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Prevalence, Incidence and Consequences of Violence Against Women: Findings From the National Violence Against Women Survey Exhibits 7,8, p. 7

(Tjaden, P. G., & Thoennes, N. )U.S. Department of Justice, National Institute of Justice & Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Research in Brief series, November, 1998. NCJ 172837

On-line (Adobe Acrobat Reader .PDF format)

From National Criminal Justice Reference Service (NCJRS) by mail:

NCJRS

P.O. Box 6000

Rockville, MD 20849-6000

Telephone: 1-800-851-3420 (toll free) or 301-519-5500 (local)

TTY: 1-877-712-9279 (toll free) or 301-947-8374 (local) FAX: 301-519-5212

ask for NCJ 172837

Washington Population Data: OFM 1998 projections, statewide, men and women over 18. 2,073,807 women, and 2,007651 men. As did the NVAW survey team, we multiplied percentages by population numbers to estimate numbers for Washington.

• Like 1

I can relate as well, but i too agree that including psychological abuse in the title or starting another thread would open up a lot more mens stories. I can't pretend to know what a woman feels when being physically abused, it must be horrible. I know as a man when ive experienced it, i know im big and strong and can get a handle on the situation..ie/the punching, slapping, breaking things and being physically attacked will end, but as a woman being overpowered physically it must be torture physically and mentally not knowing when its going to end or when its going to start again... My only long rel ended when her physical attacking of me became too much. She had serious mental problems and i stayed for too long, trying to take care of her, being the soft-hearted guy i am, but in the end i left for my own health and sanity. As has been mentioned on here already by others, i've definitely developed trust issues and kind of lost the ability to allow myself to get close to someone.

I also hate to see some of you wonderful ladies arguing about this. This is obviously an intensely personal topic as i'm sure many of the ladies on here have suffered at the hands of abusers.

In my presentations to the Police Chiefs on the subject of abuse, about twenty minutes is used to discuss the abuse of males in a relationship.

Holds special meaning for me as my mother abused my dad physically and mentally to the point of refusing medical care and he died. Hell of a way to go, survived Juno Beach, Arnhiem and died at the hands of his wife.

bottom line, all abuse is disgusting!

• Like 4

Again, and I'm really not trying to stir the pot here, but statistics showing the number of women who commit violence against men (and vice versa) are hardly illuminating.

It certainly doesn't mention that the majority of violence that women commit against men is retaliatory or in self-defense.

Yes, violence against men is a valid issue, but taking statistics point-blank is misleading.

Again, and I'm really not trying to stir the pot here, but statistics showing the number of women who commit violence against men (and vice versa) are hardly illuminating.

It certainly doesn't mention that the majority of violence that women commit against men is retaliatory or in self-defense.

Yes, violence against men is a valid issue, but taking statistics point-blank is misleading.

Lets agree to disagree Berlin do you not think it would be more appropraite to start your own thread than argue the merits of who is right.

Your own statement makes your early stats mute then.

This thread was supposed to be about women violence against men. Could we not stick to the issue of the thread here female violence against men.

Sorry Berlin

as a feminist, in my opinion, your views are jaded and do not reflect the reality of the situation.

In actual fact I can take you through reports dated from 2008, that are Canadian based, that show that the majority of abuse is NOT retaliatory. It is a power perception. # 1 is violence against children under the age of 12, # 2 is violence against women, # 3 is violence against children aged 13-18, #4 is violence against men. Overriding all of the above, of the people who were victimized, over 80% were abused because they did not have the mental capacity (including demensia - which my Dad had) to retaliate. In my volunteer work with houses to provide safety and support for those who are abused, over the last 20 years in Ottawa, Toronto and Windsor, the recorded ability to retaliate is almost nil. In Canada, less than 10 cases were reported and prosecuted over the last five years.

Again, bottom line, don't get all sexist on this issue.

Abuse of any individual, physical, mental, financial is WRONG, is against the law and needs to be stomped on hard.

• Like 1

Sorry Berlin

as a feminist, in my opinion, your views are jaded and do not reflect the reality of the situation.

In actual fact I can take you through reports dated from 2008, that are Canadian based, that show that the majority of abuse is NOT retaliatory. It is a power perception. # 1 is violence against children under the age of 12, # 2 is violence against women, # 3 is violence against children aged 13-18, #4 is violence against men. Overriding all of the above, of the people who were victimized, over 80% were abused because they did not have the mental capacity (including demensia - which my Dad had) to retaliate. In my volunteer work with houses to provide safety and support for those who are abused, over the last 20 years in Ottawa, Toronto and Windsor, the recorded ability to retaliate is almost nil. In Canada, less than 10 cases were reported and prosecuted over the last five years.

Again, bottom line, don't get all sexist on this issue.

Abuse of any individual, physical, mental, financial is WRONG, is against the law and needs to be stomped on hard.

I wasn't trying to be sexist, nor was I trying to offend anyone or downplay the severity of abuse.

This thread has certainly given me more to think about and it is hardly a bad thing to learn about your own biases. However, my bias is not related to my being feminist, it is related to my own rape. So let's keep my feminism out of it, shall we?

Thanks to Lindsay Jackel in Australia

Sun, 10 Jan 1999

Below is a review of the UK Channel 4 the documentary program, Dispatches, on FEMALE on MALE DV, screened on Thursday 7 January 1999:

Source http://www.channel4.com/njs/search_indexnj.html

to search on the words "domestic violence" to find the following announcement:

Thursday 7 January 1999 UK TV Channel 4, 21:00 DISPATCHES

A six foot security guard is knocked unconscious... stabbed and beaten - by his girlfriend - who is under five foot. A weeping police officer describes how his wife tried to suffocate him with a pillow while he was sleeping. In a specially extended Dispatches reporter DEBORAH DAVIES reveals the extraordinary results of the largest ever survey of male victims of domestic violence. Dispatches talks to men about why they have suffered yet stayed and have no faith in the police, and to women who explain why they are violent to the partners they love.

The First Step Centre run a helpline for people experiencing domestic violence offering advice, information and counselling.

Lines are open 9am to 8pm Monday to Friday, 11am to 4.30pm on Saturday and 2pm to 5pm on Sunday. Freephone 0800 281 281.

Repeated at 1pm on Thursday 12 January 1999.

Liverpool has a crisis line that will help both men and women involved in violent conflict. Call 0151-548-3333 —WHS

• Like 1

Unfortunately society is built on violence from the beginning. Any wrongful violence is bad. Unfortunately their are way too many bad people in society in all professions from all walks of life and both sexes.