It's Old Christmas Day... is your tree still up

It's January 6th or Old Christmas Day... you know the original date on which Christmas was celebrated under the Julian Calendar until October 5th 1582 when the calendar used by most of the world at the time was revised to the Gregorian calendar resulting in the loss of 11 days (Oct 5 became Oct 15th) as you can imagine not everyone agreed and some continued to celebrate Christmas 10 days later on what was now January 6th resulting in it becoming the Old Christmas Day.

Now it is thought by some that you should not take your tree down till Old Christmas Day and in some cases that having it up past Jan 6th I in fact bad luck.

Is your tree still up??? What do you celebrate?

Just for the record mine is still up and it might be weeks before it actually comes down.

Guest st*****ens**ors

For the Eastern Orthodox churches Jan 6 is still the official Christmas Day. We always save one present for the littles til January 6, but the tree was wilting and had to come down early.

Always leave the tree up for Ukrainian Christmas . My parents had Ukrainian friends who unfortunately passed early in life , so the tree always stays up to show respect for them .

• Like 1