Communicating law struck down!

You found the right place to post it.

(just hate to tell ya this is about the 5th thread started today on this topic tho, not the first lol)

(ok folks, click on New Posts before you post)

True but I believe this one was the first that had results of the event in it no?

Either way I have been following all the threads and I am happy to see the winds of change slowly sweeping over Ontario :)

True but I believe this one was the first that had results of the event in it no?

Either way I have been following all the threads and I am happy to see the winds of change slowly sweeping over Ontario :)

And hopefully it will spread to all provinces, or the Ontario defense will make the mistake of taking it to the supreme court of Canada, because not too many judges can say it is ok to not view the argument the exact same way. any law put in place that is directly used to prevent someone from working at something that is completely legal (like prostitution) cannot be constitutional.

If a city has a problem with street workers, they can use vagrant laws or whatever other city bylaws are at their disposal to deal with the issue. Vancouver has a bylaw to deal with street begging, i.e. asking for money, hanging out in front of banks etc for the express purpose of asking for money, etc. The nice thing is that a street worker (in Ontario anyway) may now be able to hang out in a well lit more populated area, will have more time to access a potential client, and can now stand outside the vehicle to discuss the date. Right now they have about 3 seconds to decide to get in or not, then get driven away to a secluded area. (OK the secluded area part won't change, but she will have more time to decide if she wants to go at all)

This has far reaching repercussions.

CBC has the story here... but even more interesting are the thread comments from "outsiders" below the story.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/09/28/prostitution-law028.html

Support is behind the decision... but I have seen the word "harlot" a few times. Not sure whether that is good or bad... but I like the word.

And hopefully it will spread to all provinces, or the Ontario defense will make the mistake of taking it to the supreme court of Canada, because not too many judges can say it is ok to not view the argument the exact same way. any law put in place that is directly used to prevent someone from working at something that is completely legal (like prostitution) cannot be constitutional.

If a city has a problem with street workers, they can use vagrant laws or whatever other city bylaws are at their disposal to deal with the issue. Vancouver has a bylaw to deal with street begging, i.e. asking for money, hanging out in front of banks etc for the express purpose of asking for money, etc. The nice thing is that a street worker (in Ontario anyway) may now be able to hang out in a well lit more populated area, will have more time to access a potential client, and can now stand outside the vehicle to discuss the date. Right now they have about 3 seconds to decide to get in or not, then get driven away to a secluded area. (OK the secluded area part won't change, but she will have more time to decide if she wants to go at all)

exactly....the attention is now geared away from prostitution itself..but rater on the means that the previous law pushed women into hiding (and eventually more dangerous situations because of this law), and in hopes for the new laws to allow those on the streets and in the public eye to feel they can work with the same rights as a human being. This is a milestone.

Tonight I went out with three other worker-friends and we toasted to this milestone. It may seem a small step for some, but for us it filled us with a warm sense of community and (humble) power.

Lets all start writing those emails to the ones who deserve it today!

Guest W***ledi*Time

I notice that John Lowman has posted the records of the Bedford, Lebovitch, and Scott constitutional challenge on his "Prostituion Research" website.

This is a massive archive that includes the factual and legal arguments of the applicants and the respondent; the submissions of the two Intervenors; the expert witness affidavits; and transcripts of witness testimony and cross examination.

This archive has even been indexed.

http://24.85.225.7/lowman_prostitution/

Guest W***ledi*Time
The link doesn't work WIT!

Could you please adjust, should be a good read!

Thanks,

Shortcake!

Thanks Shortcake, I was working on it and have now fixed it. The original link didn't work because this site (Cerb) refused to accept the "tilde" character in it. I've now found a different way to link to Lowman.

ha ha ... yes, a good long read! It'd take anyone a month to read all the trial documents!

Thanks Shortcake, I was working on it and have now fixed it. The original link didn't work because this site (Cerb) refused to accept the "tilde" character in it. I've now found a different way to link to Lowman.

ha ha ... yes, a good long read! It'd take anyone a month to read all the trial documents!

Thanks hunny, I book marked it! Yeah usually if you link it via IP not URL it will work.