How to Quit Smoking

Guest **cely***r***ne

I'm a smoker. Its discusting for many reasons and I want to quit. I've been smoking for 10 years and I feel the effects. I get short winded and find myself quitting my time working out faster than I should.....so unhealthy.

Ive tried quitting in the past but nothing ever seems to help...the patch, the pill so on and so on....

Is it really mind over matter and if so how do I do it? (Ive only had 2 smokes today!!! Im proud of that)

Mind over matter is such a delightful, but misleading phrase. Very few people have ever just walked away from smoking. One intriguing line of research out of the University of Texas states that an addiction is one behaviour that gets attached to another. With smoking, it gets attached to a lot of behaviours (and behavioural cues), such as drinking coffee, or beer, talking with friends, time of day, stressors, where you smoke, and so on.

They designed smoke cessation programs based on de-linking the behaviours (if you smoke while driving, then the next time you have a craving in the car, stop, get out, smoke, afterwards get back in the car and drive) - of course Texas does not have our winter.

And of course, talk to your doctor.

Guest ***nsut***jr

Angel...

Logger is right with his points. Dead on but.... the mind over matter will be what will make or break the deal. You have to challenge yourself to keep succeeding until you break the habit. Start exercising.

I quit cold turkey and put it out of my mind.

It was the only way.

Good luck.

J

This book was recommended to me a long time ago & it works for the heaviest of smokers. You still smoke while you read the book( I know that sounds crazy!)

ALLEN CARR'S EASY WAY TO QUIT SMOKING - is the name of the book. You can find it at any of the big bookstores.(Coles/Chapters);)

Good luck!

I have also given a comment in Emma's thread.

For quite a number of years I tried many ways to quit. In the end it came down to finding a convincing reason, and then going cold turkey.

Initially you said the following (Ive only had 2 smokes today!!! Im proud of that) which means you're still a smoker. The day you legitimately stop you're a non-smoker, and can't ever take one more. It's like the alkies in AA, it's all about resisting the urge to take that next one.

I would like to assure you that the urge will go away and the benifits will show themselves, everything will smell better and your sense of taste will return. So good luck and get your friends to help you.