What's the possibility to find a future wife/husband from speed dating?

A friend of mine paid for singleinthecity.ca for some speed dating in hope to find the right match.

To me, I don't think it will work for anyone who is serious in looking for his/her life mate. Everything is just connection and you can't know if she is the right one for you within 2-3 minutes! Besides, I think it is weird that you sit line up and rotate to flirt each other. But it might be a fun thing to do !

What is your opinion?

Guest *Ste***cque**

You never know where you'll find the love of your life. There are thousands of stories out there and one of them might well be "we met on a speed date, went for coffee afterwards and never looked back".

It might be fun to try but I have visions of the scene from the 40 Year Old Virgin which was pretty darn funny! It's another tool and at least you can put a face to a real person.

No different than using a dating web site and flipping through a dozen people's profiles. If somebody stands out or seems okay, you pursue something with them. If not, just keep shopping around.

With any of those environments that are explicitly for matchmaking, you at least get people who are definitely there for dating.

Interesting study about the importance of communication and listening as perceived by heterosexual men and women during speed dating. Apparently dates are more successful for both men and women when the conversation focuses on the women. Also too many questions by the man to the woman can turn her off or signal he can't hold up his end of the conversation.

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2013/may/jurafsky-mcfarland-dating-050613.html

I've done speed dating a few times...never found a match, but I met some nice people and had fun. I can definitely see it as having some promise.

wouldn't work for me at all. I can't be myself or communicate properly in that scenario. I'd have to resort to my old sales person self which is just an act. I'd imagine not too many introverts would join lol

Thanks for all the comments! I haven't talked to that friend but hopefully they have had some fun !

I have talked to some people and there's a stereotype about speed dating, someone would say "really? there's no girl around you that you have to use speed dating?" (guy-guy)

1 buddy got set up on a blind date , married her .

Another buddy got into a car accident , married the lady in the other car 2 years later .

Bottom line , you gotta meet before you move forward . Keep your mind open , the next person to run over your foot with a cart at a grocery store could be the " one " .

Last month, I attended a wedding of a couple who met through speed dating. I don't think there is anything wrong with it. When they told me on how they met, both of them really left an impression on each other right from the start. After the event was over, they met each other in the parking lot and talked for an hour, then went for dinner. They became a couple soon after.