the Tragically Hip

Guest st*****ens**ors

Last night's final Tragically Hip concert broadcast from Kingston Ontario was a potent, nostalgic celebration of one of Canada's most beloved bands. The Hip wrote much of the theme track of my life in my teens and twenties.

Bobcaygeon wrecked me.

If you watched the concert please share your thoughts!

I caught the tail end of the concert last night on the radio while watching the fireworks in Ottawa. I agree -- it was pretty magical all the way through. The standout for me was the second encore... that sequence of "Nautical Disaster", "Scared", and "Grace, Too" had me absolutely rapt.

I do feel that the overt politics near the end kind of undermined the eloquence of the performance though. Whatever you feel about Gord's political endorsements, music and especially one's last concert should be about getting lost in the music. Bruce Springsteen does it right; when he has a message he embeds it in a song, like this intense performance:

I decided to tune in to the concert last night and I am so glad I did. It was well produced and kudos to CBC and everyone that put it all together as a tribute to to band and to us as Canadians. It was a very poignant and emotional evening for Gord Downie, the band members and his fans especially from his home town of Kingston. I enjoyed Grace, Too; Hundredth Meridian and Boots and Hearts. Godspeed and all the best wishes for his continued Cancer treatment.

• Like 1