Does anyone remember 30 years ago this morning...

Guest ***nsut***jr

waking up to the news that John Lennon had been killed?

What a sad shocking moment for a lot of us.

I was in high school, just about to turn 16 and the 60's and early 70's music resurgence was in full force. John had just released the Double Fantasy album and it seemed that a comeback of sorts was in the works.

The Beatles and John Lennon were so much about peace and love that the murder of John was almost inconceivable.

The world was different back then too with no CD's, music videos or internet.

We played our vinyl LP's on whatever crappy turntable our parents had in the house or listened to the radio. All that day a lot of stations played non stop Beatles/Lennon music.

It was really sad day and I remember the way I felt like it was yesterday.

Anyone one else have thoughts to share?

J

Good post, John. I was really shaken by the event, too, almost as if an era had ended.

I visited the site when I was in New York years later. It was still kind of haunting.

I was only 6 years old when John Lennon was shot, but I can remember my parents were really sad about it, and my Dad played Imagine, while they cried.

I'm a little older :) and was watching Monday Night Football when it came across the

screen. First that he'd been shot and then that he died. Intially I didn't believe it.....then I did :( This was pre-internet so the information was really slow in coming.

I have a friend who was using the same recording studio as Lennon during the making of Double Fantasy. Being low on the pecking order that had the day shift for recording and Lennon came in at night. Each morning they'd use up lots of their studio time listening to the tapes that Lennon had done the night before and when he was back in the Peg, he told me it would be a pretty good record. He made the pilgrimage to the Dakota and bought a pix from a street dude near the building a black and white of Lennon entering the Dakota. It's a very cool shot.

Peace

MG

I was growing up in London and remember it very well! Basically the entire city came to a stand still from shock. I remember heading with my mum to Abbey Road to bring followers to the studio, it was unreal how many people were there! My mum was devasted, like many people in the UK, the Beatles had brought hope to a nation that was still in recovery from the Second World War and they made people feel good about themselves again! It was a very sad day for the UK, and has been sadly missed ever since at home!

I remember it perfectly. It was the end of my thinking the world was a wonderful place and the start of a dark journey that lasted about 12 years. To be honest, that was just the final tip of the scale.

I ditched school that day, hung out with some friends by the tracks where we painted "Lennon is dead, hope is lost" on the side of a bridge.

Now many years later I just wonder about how much we actually lost that day, surely an immeasurable amount.

I was house-sitting for a friend and the news came through on the radio as I was making supper.

I was stunned. That anyone could do that to someone who was a messenger for peace and harmony in the world.

It marked the end of an era.

I remained an optimist, hoping that someone would carry the flame, but it didn't happen.

I still "Imagine."