Sign in to follow this  

Seeking Arrangement: Is it a form of prostitution?

[U]Source[/U]: [url]http://globalnews.ca/news/1796393/seeking-arrangement-is-it-a-form-of-prostitution/[/url]
by Aalia Adams

MONTREAL â?? The growing trend known as â??seeking arrangementâ?? has become more and more popular, especially among students.

Here in Montreal, McGill University ranked second on the websiteâ??s list of top 20 fastest growing sugar baby schools.

The site promises to hook-up wealthy men â?? or sugar daddies â?? with younger women known as sugar babies.

Spokesperson for Seeking Arrangement Brook Urick insists, itâ??s simply the future of dating.

Global News met with a 24-year-old who claims to be a sugar baby.

â??Isabelleâ?? would not reveal her real name and Global News could not verify any of what she told us.

She said sheâ??s a student at Université de Montréal and she was recently having trouble making ends meet.

â??Itâ??s a way to go to school and not stress too much and focus on my studies,â? she explained.

â??I donâ??t have to work 20 hours, so thatâ??s the reason.â?

Her 45-year-old benefactor has been supporting her financially for the past five months.

â??Heâ??s paying for the place where I live, and if I need things like a laptop for school, he will buy me one.â?

Isabelle claims they see each other twice a month and have not had sex, yet.

â??I really thought I would but I donâ??t know, he just wants to take his time and doesnâ??t want to make it feel like itâ??s an arrangement.â?

Isabelleâ??s situation may just be an exception.

Dating expert Frank Kermit has met with a number clients who used to be sugar babies and sugar daddies.

He told Global News â??the majority of people who get involved in this want sex and thatâ??s what it comes down to.â? He doesnâ??t consider the arrangement very different from prostitution.

â??Thereâ??s still expectations, thereâ??s still an exchange but itâ??s considered a little bit easier on peopleâ??s souls to get involved in this manner.â?

According to McGill ethics professor Margaret Somerville, arrangements that trade company for cash, devalue our real human connections.

â??Itâ??s a terrible loss for individuals and itâ??s a terrible loss for society,â? Somerville said.

â??Iâ??m really hopeful that the younger generation will re-think this and come back with a different approach to it.â?

Seeking Arrangement insists itâ??s just a dating website that helps people like Isabelle find someone whoâ??s willing to help out, in exchange for companionship and romance.

An option for some, but morally questionable to others.