Health clinic in Ottawa

Up date of up datiness.

Last week when I called SWCHC I was told that some one would call me back from the Harm Reduction team, no one did so this afternoon I stopped by the clinic and asked the same question about sex workers and STI testing again in person. Still no answers to report but I'm sure that some one will get back to me this time. If I don't hear any thing this week I'll write to the director of the center and cc both the Walk in Clinic and the Harm Reduction Team. Bear with me it's going to take a few more days to get the answers. What I'm hearing is they will do the testing, but it has to be asked for a certain way. What I want is a written copy of their policy stateing that they do it and under what circumstances.

November

November: I am not sure what you have found out so far, but from the information I have gathered is that medical services in community centres are indeed for people living in the catchment area. The rationale is that they want to have adequate services for the people of that area and if everyone from all over the city went there, they wouldn't be able to accommodate the populations as well.

So yes, if you go to a medical clinic at a Community Centre, and you don't live in that area, you will be turned away. You would need to go to a walk-in clinic instead.

For example, if you went to Sandy Hill Community Centre and tried to see one of their doctors in the clinic on the second floor, you would be turned away if you do not live in that area.

However, downstairs on the lower level, there is another component to the Centre - the Oasis Program which is for people who are considered "high risk" such as people with HIV and drug users and sex workers.

So if there are any ladies who wish to have confidential testing in a non-judgemental environment, you can contact them at 613-569-3488. They are located at 221 Nelson St. (at Rideau). When you walk in the front door, you take the stairs to the left which lead to the lower level.

The hours are Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Wednesdays are for ladies only with a drop-in from 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Free condoms and lube are also available here.

This only intended for sex workers and "at high risk" people.

However, on Fridays from 1 to 3 p.m. there is free HIV testing for anyone who needs it.

• Like 1

I find the clinic on Clarence is pretty efficient, from my experience.

Its only drawback is that it's very, very busy so, it might take time to get through.

One time, I arrived at 9:15AM and there was already 20 persons in front of me!

They closed at 3:30PM so at around noon, they started turning people away and saying they must come the next or another day!

But service was good, efficient and very understanding people.

I just go to my regular doctor, no instant results, takes a week for most results, 2 for HIV test.

Some people don't have a GP, so then it's Appletree(or some other walkin) or clinic on Clarence(while you wait results for most STDs including HIV). The university and college health centres are good choices as well!

r100rs

After some search I found US based, FDA approved (Canada is always behind in allowing competition) by mail testing named Home Access. It cost about 90$ including shipping, and result are available in 3 days.

The best part no human interraction required. The company also supllies Hepatitas tests as well.