Here in CERB we are a community of sorts, there are over 24,000 member in this community, with over 42,000 threads containing over 187,000 posts, and the community is growing. We log in navigate throughout the various threads reading the different posts by the members, and write posts ourselves.

In this community we have all different sorts of people men, women, various providers, hobbyist and whom ever else I may have forgotten. People from different clotures, station and walks of life. Each of us with our own unique point of view each with our own unique personalities, and feelings, each with our own unique set of core values.

We all come here for an open exchange of information in one form or another, to learn, to make informed choices. We view the threads read the post and ponder each post for it's meaning, it's merit and we ourselves post and comments on the thread topic and the posts contained within. Each of us from our own unique perspective as a unique individual based on our own unique experiences.

Each one of us is entitled to our own unique opinion from our different stations in life, from our various walks of life, from our unique and various clotures from our own unique point of view from our own unique personalities, with our own unique set of core values.

I feel one of the highest forms of insult that is present in any community is to judge someone else point of view from our own perspective and comment directly that someone else point of view is totally wrong.

As for me I am a Canadian, an adult male, in the working class, a hobbyist with my own unique personality, and perspective, I have not hired, nor have I asked for anyone to acts my personal interpreter for my meaning of my posts.

I find it to be very disrespectful, degrading to the hobby and community as a whole when someone does this purposefully.

I myself struggle with this issue in my own personal and way trying not to cross that line that gets blurry and sometimes easily crossed without even realizing that I have done it.

I am .............after all only..........a foul able human being.

• Like 2

Your right man. I've read a number of your posts( not all, your pretty prolific). Lots I agree with, and some I'm not sure I get the point (not your fault, likely mine).

We are here to express a thought, agree with a thought, disagree with a thought , discuss a thought and maybe express a counter thought.

There is no room for name calling. Few of us really know each other well enough to form a fair opinion about anyone.

What you do, keep doing.... chavez

I feel one of the highest forms of insult that is present in any community is to judge someone else point of view from our own perspective and comment directly that someone else point of view is totally wrong.

Interesting post, but I'm not quite sure what you mean. This is a discussion forum and when I disagree with someone, I feel I am at liberty to post why I think they are wrong, without attacking the individual, of course. I'm not sure if you're maybe referring to something else?

I did not reply due to the fact I do not understand what he means by that statement either.

Interesting post' date=' but I'm not quite sure what you mean. This is a discussion forum and when I disagree with someone, I feel I am at liberty to post why I think they are wrong, without attacking the individual, of course. I'm not sure if you're maybe referring to something else?[/quote']

Agreed with Megan ... what you say I believe is true, but I'm not following your point. We all bring our own unique point of view and life experiences to our posts ... without that, we will would sound like a bunch of mind-numbed robots. This is a very open minded community of posters, but that doesn't mean there isn't a matter of objective truth, or strength of a point of view, that cant be established.

Maybe it would help if you could be more specific?

Curiosity drove me to search for posts that were candidates, and I suspect it was this thread:

Thread

It's tough to be challenged (especially when the eventual carry-away from a post is just a couple of specific words), but at the same time we need to encourage reasonably free discussion here. Folks need to be able to say they disagree, and even be emphatic about it as long as they're still respectful.

CERB is a good, diverse community. It's all good as long as we make well-considered and respectful posts, and are prepared to defend our opinions against challenges -- even people saying we're plain wrong. And if someone's critical post grates the wrong way, consider the critic's point of view and be generous when ascribing their intent -- even if it feels like they didn't seem as generous when ascribing yours. We all know words can be read in ways the author didn't really mean. Text is an awfully limited form of communication, particularly when things get touchy.

I'd hate to feel I couldn't challenge someone's viewpoint here, and had to treat all opinions as equally valid. At the same time I hope I remain respectful in my disagreement. That still leaves a lot of territory to work with, and in my time here so far I'm happy to say that I've seen very few threads cross the line.

• Like 1

If you really want to see intolerance of other viewpoints; check out the hockey boards just about every day. Woof!

Guest s******ecan****
when I disagree with someone' date=' I feel I am at liberty to post why I think they are wrong, [/quote']

Well said Megan.

I am with Megan on this too, I am not sure of the point here.LOL, I feel silly. But What i do know is that in a discussion there is a proper way to state an argument that is not offensive. In philosophy 101, you learn how to form a proper argument, with at least 2 premises to back up your statement. Never does it involve insulting the other perspective. A discussion is ment for all to voice opinion and to learn other perspective's. I sometimes do enjoy being tested and to partake in a friendly argument, so long as all parties are respected. I think it gives us a chance to re-affirm out belief's, perspectives, and challenges us to either stick to what we belief or allows us to become more open-minded to another's way of thinking. personally I think it would be a bore if we all agreed all the time.lol.

I think the point JH and MP are trying to make is that if one chooses to respond to a post with which you disagree with, then respond as such with a reasonable argument as to why. There is nothing more frustrating than putting out your view which you are prepared to defend, and then dealing with people who disgree by picking on spelling errors and word choices.

I also think that people have to recognize when a thread is a dialogue or a debate. And yes Virginia, there is a difference. A dialogue is a process where each participant gets to say their piece, and it is accepted as valid and given equal weight with everyone else's input. A debate is an opportunity for one person to make an assertion and defend it and for others to support or disagree, backing up there points with arguments. The most critical difference here is in a dialogue, even the most off the wall, nutty or palin wrong statements are accepted as a valid part of the process, in a debate not so much.

Each has there value and their place, the issue is when participants do not recognize the difference and argue against a point in thread which up to that point has been a dialogue, raising the ire of the participants. Likewise, when a person steps into a debate with a dialoge type statement not backed up by empirical observation etc, and gets stomped on.

When you are particpating in a debate style thread, expect to be disagreed with and don't take it personally. When in a dialogue, be more carefull how you choose your words and consider how anything you say will be recieved. And most importnt, learn to tell the difference.

I have to say I am proud of the fact that I have actually changed my opinion on several issues after reading the threads here.... that, to me, is the value of the forum... I get to follow discussions, read diverse points of view, and learn. I have rarely seen discussions get personal and find the respect-level here to be very high. It's why i'm here...

Keep on posting Jughead.

We are all different and its interesting to

read posts from such a diverse group. As long as you try to remain polite,

its all good. But sometimes,no matter how you express yourself, someone out there

will take issue with what you say.

Just wear a thick skin. And don't post anything while you are in the

middle of a 3 beer lunch :) I made that mistake sometime ago, and posted

something that I kinda felt bad about later. Oh well...we are all adults here.

Posted via Mobile Device

Guest s******ecan****
I have to say I am proud of the fact that I have actually changed my opinion on several issues after reading the threads here....

I have to agree. I am particularly happy that CERB enlightened me as to the benefits of hobbying, something I had missed out on in my pre-CERB days! :)

Thanks You everyone.

Although some may wish more clairifacation on items in my opeing post in this thread, I simply feel that anything else would take away from my original post, and simply is not needed.

Note:

I want to take the time to post a public

THANK YOU

To that special someone for your recent PM, It changed my mind.