Sign in to follow this  

A massage with a difference

Guest W***ledi*Time

Being from the thalidomide era myself, I found this interesting and inspiring:

The Daily Mail reports, 1 Apr 2011:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1372307/A-massage-difference-Thalidomide-survivor-uses-FEET-perform-sports-therapy.html

A woman born without hands has qualified as a sports masseuse - by using just her feet and toes.

Sue Kent, 48, has arms just eight inches long after her mother took the Thalidomide drug for morning sickness.

The mother-of-two has been a trained massage therapist for three years and has had a nonstop flow of clients who find her unusual technique very effective at soothing their aches and pains.

While they lie on a padded mat on the floor, Sue sits on a bench and works on their muscles with her super-strong feet.

She has now become qualified to carry out therapeutic sports massages for athletes.

Sue has a clinic in Mumbles in Wales, and hopes to help Britain's Olympic squad at the 2012 games.

Sue said: 'My ambition has always been to pursue the feet-only technique to the highest level.

'It was quite a challenge to work with the professional teaching team to develop new procedures to achieve the same results as those using their hands.'

Sue has never let her disability stop her from leading an active life and has enjoyed swimming, ballet and horse riding.

She said: 'I loved ballet and I think that's why I have good strength in my legs to do the massages.

'I have never tried to hide the fact that I have no proper arms. I always make sure the client is aware of it before they book an appointment.

'While some people do not like feet there are many people for whom it is not an issue.'

Sue encourages people not to be daunted by the unknown - but to try the experience of a massage by foot.

She said she uses her feet for most things around the house which most people tackle with their hands.

Sue cooks, cleans and does all her household tasks with her supple feet.

Thalidomide was hailed as a wonder-drug in the 1950s and 1960s and was given to pregnant women for morning sickness.

But more than10,000 children around the world were born with severe deformities because of the side effects.

article-1372307-0B6F281000000578-735_634x478.jpg

What a great story. It is yet another example of what is all around us, of people who have persevered through some very difficult and trying times.

Thanks for sharing that.