Pooner Diaries: Fantasies

In years past, I used to occasionally post a special story right around Christmastime.  They're only vaguely seasonal, but the one thing that they've all had in common is that they particularly reflect the warmth of the season, despite the cold weather.

It's been a while since my last story and I've written a new one, just in time to resurrect my old custom.  Enjoy, my dear readers.

--bb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spooning afterwards is the best.  We're warm and sweaty but we're basking in the afterglow.  Our bodies fit together so perfectly, my arms wrapped around her, my nose nuzzling her fragrant hair.

Her breathing has become heavy and deep.  I think she's fallen asleep.  That's okay.  She's had some late nights recently.  I know she doesn't have to go anywhere after this, and neither do I.  So I'll let her doze on for just a little while.

I looked at the room around me.  She's decorated it with a gentle touch.  She'd painted it a delicate pink, all by herself.  Every detail is perfect, every knick-knack just so.  I've spent a lot of time here with her.  She's made this room feel like my home away from home.  Here, my problems just fall away.  In this room, my terrible boss and my dead-end job are just distant memories.  In this room, my parents are still in good health, still in possession of all their faculties.  In this room, only good things happen and time stands still.

I'm not the only one who feels this way.  Oh, I know there are other men.  I just don't think about that.  What I mean is that when we're together, the world falls away for her too.  She forgets about all the grief her ex gives her.  In this room, her children are angels and she never gets calls to come in because her daughter is acting out.  In this room, her credit card balance is always in the black, her checks are never overdrawn.

In this room, our world is just the two of us on this bed.  It reduces to my lips on hers, my fingers tracing the soft skin in the small of her back, the taut skin between her shoulder blades, the delicate skin on the nape of her neck.  I kiss her neck, her perfect breasts, her flat belly and I just keep going right on.  When I reach my goal, her eyes close and a fragile smile settles on her face. She is truly home now.

She has an impish grin afterwards.  "My turn."  She rolls me onto my back, and takes me into her mouth, looking up at me the whole time.  She's oh... so... diligent.  I always mean to let her finish me off this way but it always seems like I end up inside her, in any one of a number of our favorite positions.   I could say I'm in my happy place here.  But honestly, I was in my happy place as soon as I walked through her door.

It's hard not to think about a life lived a little differently.  About that happy place expanding outside of these four walls and filling the whole world.  I let myself dream that dream when I'm here.  But I know that if we were together, truly together, life would be different and not quite so rosy.  My trials and tribulations would still be there.  They would enter this world too.

And as for her, she doesn't even need to say it.  I know she dreams about my taking her away from all this.  Having my strong arms around her, protecting her from the world around us.  And we both have that tiny flicker in the deepest recesses of our hearts, that we would be forever together.  That I would be hers and her alone, that she would be mine and mine alone.

But I think we both know that these are just fantasies.  My world comes flooding back the moment I cross her threshold to the street outside, and I look at my phone.  And as for her, the world doesn't wait that long.  It only takes as long as it does for her to pick up her phone, sometimes before she's even left my embrace.

Sometimes I think to tell her to wait a moment, to savor our time together full measure.  That text will still be there.  The world will still loom out there, whether we want it or not.  But I don't say anything.  Some lessons can only be learned, not taught.

As for me, I'm happy to let my fantasy linger a little longer.  My problems will still be there, as soon as I walk away.  I look at the snow falling gently out her window.  I reach down to gently kiss the back of her neck and pull her closer.  And then I doze off too.

• Like 4