Grateful to be sober

i am an addict as well, and also in recovery for over a year, if u ever need some enourging words, even though ive never met you, you can always pm me, and ill be here to help.

I appreciate this thread so much because i know how hard this is. And i also appreciate the courage you have to come out with this, as well, as the others who have posted.

Good luck, and stay stong!

Additional Comments:

remember, you are not alone in this

I am glad that my idea wasn't a stupid one. Having little to no experience with addiction (except ex-tobacco and the odd 420), I thought maybe it was not an appropriate place to have a support group.

I've already been pm'd by a few members who are too scared to join the recovery group or post in this thread but who need our help. If any members with good sobriety who are working their steps are willing to take some newcomers to their first meeting, pm me. I especially need some sober SPs willing to be there for fellow SPs in need. I will then send your info to the member in need and hopefully ( fingers crossed ) they will have the strength to ask for your help.

To the person out there still suffering. Those of us in recovery have all been where you are now. We were fortunate to have someone help us get sober so it is our honour and pleasure to help you get sober. Helping you helps us.

r100rs

Additional Comments:

AA meet Easter Saturday all day followed by dinner dance - ottawa

http://www.ottawaaa.org/committees/springathon/springathon.html

NA meet from Good Friday to Easter Sunday - gatineau

http://www.canaacna.org/english/events.php

r100rs

The hardest part of the entire journey to sobriety / recovery is admitting to yourself that you have a problem and reaching out to someone for assistance.

We always feel ashamed that something has gotten the better of us and that we need reach out for assistance. We totally forget all of the humiliation for the many things we may have done on the road to where we are now.

I am not proud of the things I have done but they have helped sustain me by reminding me where I was as compared to how things are now. I don't broadcast my sobriety but neither do I hide it.

For me I subscribe to the one day at a time, I'm sober for today, yesterday was yesterday and tomorrow is tomorrow, we'll see how tomorrow goes when it arrives. When I first quit it took about 2 years of occasional relapses before the import and understanding of living for today took hold. Initially I was thinking "OMG all those years a head of me without" and this made sobriety 10X harder.

The worst part had to be the vivid dream of having a few drinks after I was sober for 6 months, then spending half the day convinced that I'd relapse. We all shared a really good laugh over that one at the meeting that night.

Lets see, it's been, hmmm, almost 23 years now for me. I actually never remember the actual length of time, I have to figure it out. All part of living in today as part of sobriety.

• Like 1

I've found somewhere offsite to share in total anonymity, please pm me for details.

happy 24 everyone.

r100rs

• Like 1

Jesus said:

"I can promise you this. If you had faith no larger than a mustard seed, you could tell this mountain to move from here to there. And it would. Everything would be possible for you."

Matthew 17.20b, 21

I'm proud of you(and you). We all are.

Bringing a major habit/lifestyle to an end is life changing and difficult to go at it alone and I'm glad there is so much support to reach out to and swallow the pain.

There are reasons behind what we do and looking to the future is great, by uncovering the past the healing can begin to ensure we deal with our issues instead of replacing one habit with another. I highly recommend sorting everything out with a psychiatrist to assist you Work through issues and help deal with day to day, psychotherapy, and cognitive thinking, this really does speed up recovery and put things into perspective and pieces back together.

All the best***

Congratulations!

To everyone that has come forward with their stories, and the courage to meet the challenges of this disease one day at a time. I wish you all continued succes in your sobriety.

For those who have yet to reach out for the help and support you need and deserve, may you find the strength.

For those who know someone in need - as I do, whether alcohol or drugs - please look beyond the madness and offer your help and support. And never judge.

Lost opportunities open the door to life's future possibilities

Don't wait, the time will never be just right