Grateful to be sober

man.....each day is a step.....

each day a new challenge......

but every moment is to be cherished........

way to go!!!!!!!

You get the 5 kleenex salute from the antlerman..........

Congratulations on your sobriety.

Although never been in a twelve step I did have to stop drinking for other health reasons back in 1980. All in all, I don't miss it. I have, and speaking for myself only, a more fulfilling life without alcohol than I would with alcohol

Good luck

RG

Kudo's to your sobriety. You are a part of fine community with lots of support. Best of Luck to you friend...staying clean....YOU CAN DO IT! On those challenging days take it by minute by minute and remember this to shall pass and play the tape till the end....remember when....remember where you do not want to be and always remember where you have come from. Angie xo :makeout:

congratulations! I've been sober now 9 years. I don't miss it either. I realized that just being me is so much better. I also found that I couldn't blame all my craziness on being a drunk...lmao.

Be strong and be well and if you ever need someone to talk to let me know.

kisses,

Emma

I only have 1 or 2 drinks on my birthday as alcohol has too many carbs and sugar for me.

And that money goes to the ladies now.

I have never been in a program, I came to the realization that I had an issue and dealt with it. I quit "cold turkey" if you want to use that expression and its been a little over two years for me. Life has been a lot more interesting since I have been sober.

It was one of the best decisions that I ever made, I had watched what alcohol did to my father, saw myself heading down the same road and got off it before it was too late!

Be proud of yourself for understanding what you needed to do and then having the courage to do something about it!

I for one have a lot of respect for people who quit and so do a lot of others, so stick with it and if you need some one to "chat" with, send me a PM, I'd be happy to help you achieve your goal.

Good Luck!

Rodehard

Edited by Rodehard
Typo

Perhaps there should be a group started here where all members and posts are anon., for support.

I know there are a trillion "groups/forums" out there but I know there are some folks who get support from where they feel most comfortable, and there are some who feel that way here.

Having the posts and members be hidden allows one to be very very honest.

Anyway just a thought.

• Like 5

Congratulations on making such an important decision. Alcoholism rages throughout both sides of my family and I have considerd my self blessed to take it or leave it.

I have however seen it transform family members from reasonable wonderful people to ones I don't even know.

My grandfather was a founding father of Alcholics Anonymous in the 1940's. He lived and breathed the 12 steps. He was a very wise and spiritual man and it was his life mission to help others beat this problem. It was nothing for him to get calls in the middle of the night to lend a hand to someone. I am sure you will receive the same suppot as its a wonderful organization. I believe A A is all about helping others, I really like that as the presence of other people is a very powerful force.

Blessings and all the best in the world.

Guest f***2f***

Congratulations you are doing something that is very hard to do and your perseverance is admirable. I remember some years ago meeting a man in an elevator who had a smile on his face. I greeted him and said he looked happy. He said "Yes I'm happy because today marks the fortieth year of sobriety for me." I said "Wow! that's amazing! Do you ever get the urge to drink again?" He said "Every day but I just keep telling myself, NOT TODAY!" For some people it's a daily struggle and my hat is off to all of you.

One day at a time I went into recovery May 91 for Coke addiction stop everything 47 days in treatment in the States it is hard

I after 9 yrs had a drink I found for me it was the lifestyle and friends I hung with did not help my problem changing my lifestyle helped me

I dont advise it but I do have a very rare drink and can take or leave it now next month I will be 20 yrs away from Coke for everyone it is a different walk one day at a time

Living one day at a time;

Enjoying one moment at a time;

Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;

Taking, as He did, this sinful world

as it is, not as I would have it;

Trusting that He will make all things right

if I surrender to His Will;

That I may be reasonably happy in this life

and supremely happy with Him

Forever in the next.

Amen.

Keep strong stay with the program I still talk with my Sponsor weekly

God grant me the serenity

to accept the things I cannot change;

courage to change the things I can;

and wisdom to know the difference.

• Like 1

Thank you for having the courage to share your experience, strength and hope with us. I too am in a 12 step program but rather than AA it is in Al-Anon, a group for the family and friends of alcoholics. Only after joining Al-Anon did I learn to appreciate that alcoholism is an illness and a family disease that can affect those associated with and who truly care about the addicted person in many ways. I have also learned to separate the individual from the illness so that I can go on loving the person while hating the illness.

I wish you every success in your continued recovery, one day at a time.

I started a new social group for recovery. i do like the idea of being able to post anonymously there though ... some people will need that....otherwise those long held secrets will not come out...."you are only as sick as your secrets"

thanks Isabella, great idea, I've contacted Mod to see what are options are.

For now group is changed to invite only. So PM me if you want to join everyone.

r100rs

Awww, how great for you! I have been sober for just one year. I had been drug free for 2 years, but then had a relaps a year ago. When I became sober for the second time, I was sort of thankful that I did go threw it, because you wont know how to pick yourself up unles you fall down at least once. I know know what it is to fall, and will not compromise my sobrity again. Good luck to you and to all who battel with substance abuse. Good Job....it is so worth it!

I am in recovery. I have done a lot of work spiritually and working the 12 steps to be in such a great place right now. I am wondering who may be on the same path. PM me if you wish to keep your anonymity. I'm looking for new sober friends to share the joys of sobriety.

grateful to be sober today.

r100rs

If you woke up before me today then you have more sobriety today than I!!

My sobriety today is for today and today only.

I will be 16 years sober (God willing) this October.

For me, getting sober was one long and winding road; full of personal, family amd financial loss. When I hit my `bottom` it was not only one hard fall but several.

Once I came to the realization that my life options were limited if I continued on this path I made a decision (sitting in a jail cell) that I would get sober'''one day at a time.

Upon making THE DECISION life became clearer and more manageable.

I once heard a young lady speak at a meeting and she described herself as `living life with a broken coper`; she could not cope with anything in her life; whatever life dished out --good, bad or indifferent'''she could not deal with it and got drunk.

Being sober has allowed me to develop better life skills--no more broken copers!!

Sobriety has allowed me the opportunity to nurture a level of spirituality that I otherwise could not have experienced while still drinking.

Today--life is good; but not without its` challenges.

But one thing that I do believe today'''and I say it every time I speak'''God will never put more in front of me than I can handle

I know exactly where you are coming from. I have struggled a few times trying to get sober. I had a lot of slips along the way (binges), which were not too fun by all means. My last night of shame was last September, in which I had a close encounter with the police, luckily they told me to get my ass home, I flagged down a cab and that was the last drink for me. Not too often they (cops) give you a chance. So 7 months now, and I am very grateful. I feel better mentally, physically, and emotionally. Its good to have a support base even if you dont know someone personally.

Keep up the great work everyone. 1 day at a time.

"For me" its 1 minute at a time, I am one that cant think too far ahead. Take care of yourselves.

From the response to this thread it's obvious " we are not alone in our struggles " . Some great posts people, thanks for all the recovery.

r100rs

ps. to the newcomer, or the person wishing to get sober - those of us who've been through it are there for you....anytime....anywhere.