gettin to be that time of year

Whats the best way to get a tan?? Ive sat out in the sun, everyday, ive used oils, the self-tanning foams/sprays, the "touch of sun" lotions. the only thing i havent tried yet is the tanning salon

When ive used the tanning foam/sprays they leave streaks

When ive used the oils/sat out in the sun i get burned

The "touch of sun" kind of works, but only i you use it everyday, but doesnt really look natural

i have fair skin, and if anyone has some advice/recommendations, id love to hear it :)

Guest k***na

I don't know much about tanning products but I can recommend a tanning bed if anything. I have many friends who tan and its looks natural. I have only been in a tanning bed about 3 times in my life, so I don`t know much about it. All I can say is just don't over do it or you will become orange!

Also take advantage of any sun that comes now! It helps:)

My wife is VERY fair, and she basically has to let herself burn and then stay inside for 3 or 4 days with some lotion on her skin. Then a base will come through and she'll pretty much stay tanned. That said she's 85% Irish, 15% Native, so that blood might do something odd to her tanning.

yeah, well, thats pretty much what i have to do too... i burn, and then ill see some kind of color after, im part icelandic, and latvian, and nothing seems to make my skin used to the sun

My wife is VERY fair, and she basically has to let herself burn and then stay inside for 3 or 4 days with some lotion on her skin. Then a base will come through and she'll pretty much stay tanned. That said she's 85% Irish, 15% Native, so that blood might do something odd to her tanning.

Most spas offer airbrushing if you are looking for a good sunless tan, go for a body scrub then have them apply the tan. It's a bit of a process and you do have to go for repeated sessions every 1-2 weeks depending on how often you shower, shave, workout, etc. but it's probably the most even and safe way to tan if you find that a tanned skin is something you want. Cost varies from spa to spa you can pay as little as $30 for a quick spray tan (partial body) up to about $200 for a full body scrub and personal airbrush treatment - with or without tanlines, highlights, shadows, etc.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sunless-tanning/SN00037

Edited by Kyra.Graves

Well I guess they say that time will tell regarding any skin cancers, but for me, a day or two of sun and I am brown. I rarely burn, use SPF infrequently, but have gone to a hat alot in the past few years. Once the good weather arrives I am most often found clad only in a pair of shorts and working aroiund outside.

Seems to me that with the numbers who use tanning beds and spary ons that if I could bottle my genetics I would make a fortune. :)

And I know, I don't have to concern myself with it, but what IS the story on those tanning beds. Are they worth the risk?

My wife was unable to tan, ever, and her physical attraction level to me was simply beyond.

Spa airbrushing is beautiful-looking and safe. I've done it a few times, so that I could wear a particular style of dress to a summertime wedding or garden party, but not for work. I don't sit in the sun or go to a tanning parlor, ever. My skin is quite fair yet it will tan if I let it, but I'm a bit too vain to risk the damage that sun can do to skin--drying it out, burning, etc. Most of all, though, I'm concerned about overexposure to ultraviolet light from the sun or from tanning beds. My understanding is that it's cumulative exposure over time that increases the risk of skin cancer.

Me, going out fishing on a regular basis does it for me...of course I get funny tan lines...like on my head/face...I wear a hat, no tan, but face, tan (btw I'm bald)

Always, always, I use sunblock...70 SPF, especially after a melanoma scare a few years back

Remember ladies, no tan, no matter how you think it makes you look, is worth getting skin cancer for...and you don't need to be tanned to look beautiful...you are all beautiful already

RG

• Like 1

Exfoliate, self tanner, tanning bed and spray tan. All will give you an amazing color when combined together. As well as moisturize, moisturize, moisturize.

Some great new products also have a tan extender in them (the better ones are sold in tanning salons) The key is to keep your skin hydrated

If you are very fair I would recommend a no burn HP bed. They are a little more pricey then a normal stand up or lie down but totally worth it. By a little I mean usually double. When it comes to tanning beds more expensive is definetly better. Go shopping around and find a salon with intelligent staff who know their job. In the hands of a person who knows and understands skin types and their beds and products you can't go wrong. I tan a lot off and on and get regular spray tans I love the color I turn and I hate tan lines! Seriously though find a good salon and they can do wonders!

Posted via Mobile Device

Me, going out fishing on a regular basis does it for me...of course I get funny tan lines...like on my head/face...I wear a hat, no tan, but face, tan (btw I'm bald)

Always, always, I use sunblock...70 SPF, especially after a melanoma scare a few years back

Remember ladies, no tan, no matter how you think it makes you look, is worth getting skin cancer for...and you don't need to be tanned to look beautiful...you are all beautiful already

RG

I read RG's post and couldn't resist posting a really bad tan line story!

A few years back I spent a summer working as a roofer. Between the physical exertion and the sun constantly beating down I found I couldn't wear conventional hats, but I also hated sweat dripping into my eyes, so I rocked a bandanna the whole summer. Fast forward to late September... I return to Winnipeg... By the way, did I mention I was asked to be a groomsman for a close friend's wedding which was happening a day later? Needless to say the photographer took one look at my awesome bandanna tan and wanted to punch me in the throat...

good times. Thank god I have friends with a sense of humor

I tan in a tanning bed, it's my therapy! But like someone said in a previous post, more expensive does mean better bed. I too use a No burn bed and my tan is golden brown, never turns orange! I used to go almost everyday, but I could see it was starting to take a toll on my skin, so Ive calmed down alot. 2-3/week max.

But if you want a instant tan, I say go for a high quality spay tan, make sure you exfoliate very good before, shave 2 hours before your appointment and do not use Dove products, they leave a film on your body and will create streaking. Then go in a tanning bed to keep up the tan, they usualy last about a week, so the bed helps bring more colour and longer.