Sign in to follow this  

Wonder Woman 1984

So after many delays, Covid bringing us all down and a ton of hype, Christmas day was finally the release of the Wonder Woman sequel. Warner released it in theatres and simultameously as a rental on streaming platforms. HBO Max in the US which we don't have here in Canada but available on Itunes, I believe and Google play store. Now $30 is a pretty high ticket for a stream obviously but since there was really nothing but a lot of stuff I had already seen or a bunch of garbage on Netflix, Prime and other streaming sites, I bit the bullet and rented as my Christmas gift to myself so here are my thoughts on the matter.

Before I get to the sequel, I just want to point out the things that made the original such a good movie. In the original, the Secondary characters were very interesting. Chris Pine's little band of misfits and his seceratary Etta Candy played by Lucy Davis was fun and quirky. Also, the villians in the first one were very good and the catch of David Thewliss' character being the true antagonist was brilliant.

Now on to the sequel we go. It was not nearly as good as the original, imo. I've seen some headlines of critics touting it but I'm pretty sure Warner bpught them off. This movie had virtually no secondary characters of any interest. The villians in this movie were also not all that interesting. Now the "Cheetah" character played by Kristen Wiig was a sexy counterpart to Gal Gadot, but she was basically just a copycat version of several of the Batman characters like Catwoman and Poisin Ivy and there really wasn't enough of her to get fully invested in the character. The antagonist of the movie, Maxwell Lord played by Pedro Pascal was actually such a pussy that it was hard to even have the animosity toward him that you need with a truly good antagonist.

Now there were some positives so it wasn't all bad. Some of the action sequences were fantastic although there could have been more. Not to spoil it for anyone but a nice homage to Indiana Jones thrown in the middle was quite entertaining. The storyline could have been good if handled properly but it missed it's opportunity due to poor direction.

When all was said and done, I guess I could have saved my money and just watched something on Netflix but it is what it is. Cheers everyone.

Edited by peacectryguy
spelling
  • Like 1

On 12/26/2020 at 1:00 PM, peacectryguy said:

The storyline could have been good if handled properly but it missed it's opportunity due to poor direction.

I agree with many of your points, but I think the writing and editing were the worst part of the movie.

All the elements are there, but it's way too long. Trimming 30 to 40 min out would make it much better.

Happy not having to pay to see this.

P.S. The mid-credit scene is pretty cool.