Ontario Court of Appeals

I'm in Toronto in court as I type awaiting to hear the interveners. Is anyone else here or following?

Posted via Mobile Device

are you going to twitter it ? or update this thread as it happens ?

I may post in this thread if I have time. I don't know how to use twitter. The Canadian Christian Fellowship is up next.

Posted via Mobile Device

Additional Comments:

The Christian group is arguing that prostitution is an attack on Canadian fundamental social values, independent of religious morality.

Posted via Mobile Device

Edited by Megan'sTouch

Guest W***ledi*Time
.... Is anyone else here or following?

It would be great to be there, but it's a long way from NS! Keep us updated Megan!

Of course there's also Nikki Thomas (Cerb's Tgirl Nikki). Her real-time updates:

http://twitter.com/#!/NikkiSPOC

Wow, they actually think that prostitutes losing their lives is worth protecting 'Canadian social values.' I'm appalled!

Posted via Mobile Device

Additional Comments:

Judges did not seem impressed.

Christians 0

Sex Workers 1

Women's coalition to end prostitution are up next.

Posted via Mobile Device

Additional Comments:

Women's coalition are arguing for the Swedish model where clients are criminalized.

Posted via Mobile Device

• Like 1

I am following developments through the press but I am very interested in your reports on events. Good for you for attending, Megan. "Canadian social values" adapt and change over time, as do laws. I think the time "generally" might be right to see some change here and to wake up to reality. Only difficulty, nationally is that the Conservative will take a "not on my watch" approach.

Edited by Reddog01
typo

CCLA and BCCLA are up now. The judges appear bored. I found Nikki on the break and I'm sitting just behind her. I think we will break for lunch and POWER and Maggie's will be up next. Based on the judges reactions and the way they are questioning the intervenors, I believe things are looking good for our side.

Posted via Mobile Device

Additional Comments:

The judges don't seem enamored by the personal autonomy arguments.

Posted via Mobile Device

• Like 1

I couldn't go and I'm so bummed about it. I've been reading Nikki's updates on Twitter/Facebook.

The arguments against decrim just seem so ridiculous to me, I find it hard to believe that anyone with any sort of intelligence would fall for them.

Guest Ser***der

I had the good fortune to meet Nikki last time she was in Ottawa. I was very impressed by her and can easily see her being a fantastic spokesperson.

As for intelligence, it is almost always blinded by fear. Despite racking my brain I cannot conceive of other human endeavor where...wait, the laws on race, homosexuality, Christianity (the world is a big place) are all examples of repression. To me, this is what this is really about. A carry over of the "I know best" that is enshrined in our laws.

The time for this conservation has come (is long overdue). There is no putting this Genie back in the bottle.