As some of you may or may not know, I do not watch television at home. I haven't for years. I'm more of a movie-lover anyway, and documentaries are usually better when they're not made-for-tv. But while in Saskatoon, there isn't a whole lot else to do. lol

Anyway, I was intrigued enough to catch a show called 'Big Sexy'.

Has anyone seen this? It made my heart almost break in half. Never having been a BBW or 'plus-size', I hardly realized the prejudice that exists against big women.

Four of the five women are single, so they decided to go to a club. When they got to the door, the doorman made them wait, while letting others in for free, and then finally came back after pow-wowing and laughing at them, and charged them $30 each to get in! The girls rightfully told them to go and F*#! themselves. But their night was ruined! :(

They were all trying to just love themselves as they were. But at almost every turn, they were shot down in one way or another.

Another example...

They try Speed Dating since the BBW Party was a total bust with just a bunch of 'creepy chubby chasers' (their words, not mine). One speed datin' guy admits he would only hook up with a fat girl if he was drunk.

The youngest, Audrey who is 24, comes from runway and print model parents. But somehow, she turned out to be 6'3" and 330 pounds. She says she's constantly mistaken for a drag queen. The worst part? She feels unloved and not good enough for her skinny-minny Mother.

Maybe it's just because I never watch T.V. and so I'm rarely exposed to this sort of programming. But this show made me so sad for women. I could see that they were trying so hard not to let their sizes get them down. But it did get them down. And how could it not with so much unfair treatment?

Anyway, I'm really happy that a place like cerb exists that welcomes and celebrates women of every size. I'm glad this place isn't just all about young, skinny, gorgeous little women. Because if it were, there'd be a lot less women on here! lol

Yes, I do agree with you Soleil.

Many women struggle with their weight when really size shouldn't matter. Its almost as if men can get away with the weight more so than woman can in today's society. Its sad, but true.

Anyhow, I think women shouldnt care what men think about their weight. Weight is important when it comes to keeping good health. Although, women should be confident at any point in size they are.

If your going to do something do it for yourself not for anyone else.

Weight is definately something that is very personal, and whether someone wants to lose or gain wieght its nobody else's business.

Beauty is not only outwardly, it is inwardly. Beauty that comes from the heart is what makes a women flourish like a flower, and all women should embellish that as well as their intellectuality in what they have to offer to a man.

• Like 1

One of my friends on Facebook is a BBW - a staggeringly witty and talented one, as I often point out. Her status updates about the crap she goes through are heartbreaking. Absolutely gut-wrenching, tear-inducing, 'OMG-how-can-people-be-so-horrible' heartbreaking.

People actually go out of their way to insult her. And worst of all, it's gone on so long, and become so ingrained, she's totally and utterly blind to what a one-of-a-kind legendary ultracatch she actually is. In fact, she seems to have no self-esteem left at all.

And she's just one of the thousands/millions of amazing women who have just been utterly ground down by this kind of abuse.

I keep thinking of this:

All. The Time.

• Like 1

I haven't watched Big Sexy but it sounds interesting. Another show that is similar and one that I watch is Drop Dead Diva where a model gets killed in a car accident. She pushes a button in heaven and is sent back down to earth in a bigger woman's body who happens to be a lawyer which no one knows about. And what's worse is she is forced to work with her ex fiance who only now sees her as big girl Jane and thinks she doesn't have a chance with him now that she's fat. She also experiences the same kind of treatment as Soleil described in the other show.

As someone who has been a bigger girl, I too have experienced this kind of treatment as opposed to when I was thinner. It was like night and day. I tried to not let my weight affect me but being in this business and not being slim can be very trying. I will admit it. I do agree with Liana that if you want to lose weight, the emphasis should be on your health and not if you can get rock hard abs.

• Like 1

I haven't watched Big Sexy but it sounds interesting. Another show that is similar and one that I watch is Drop Dead Diva where a model gets killed in a car accident. She pushes a button in heaven and is sent back down to earth in a bigger woman's body who happens to be a lawyer which no one knows about. And what's worse is she is forced to work with her ex fiance who only now sees her as big girl Jane and thinks she doesn't have a chance with him now that she's fat. She also experiences the same kind of treatment as Soleil described in the other show.

As someone who has been a bigger girl, I too have experienced this kind of treatment as opposed to when I was thinner. It was like night and day. I tried to not let my weight affect me but being in this business and not being slim can be very trying. I will admit it. I do agree with Liana that if you want to lose weight, the emphasis should be on your health and not if you can get rock hard abs.

I've watched Drop Dead Diva and loved it, I think it's a great show much more then what I expected it to be.

I too watched big sexy last night and yes they had their rough moments I came out of it thinking the opposite of lovely Soliel.

Yes they are what society considers "big" and definitely did face moments of rudeness and downright disgusting treatment, but there confidence was amazing. They are all in the fashion industry including one being a plus size model. With all the crap they have dealt with they are all so beautiful , confident and most of all happy!

The have found a way to break thru the usual barriers of the fashion industry in all areas and made not only a name for themselves but a new hit tv show that while it may show their struggles it mores celebrates there beauty as Big Beautiful Women!

Hell they even rode an electric bull, I don't think I could get my butt on one of those out of sheer fear of making a fool of myself...but they didn't care! That makes them special!

As they said " once you go big you never go twig" I thought that was cute!

Go big sexy!

I've been watching this show as well. The part that really stands out to me is the girl who is modeling and has to lose weight. I think the show is supposed to celebrate BBW women but it also shows how insecurities creep up even in the most confident women. I think this happens to everybody at one time, whether big or small.

Making fun of big women or big people in general is an "ism" that is still seemingly acceptable in today's society. Being bigger is often associated with being lazy or sloppy and having poor health. You can be fit at any size!

Being a bigger person myself, I am familiar with some of these "isms" especially when I lived in Japan. I have also been smaller (never "skinny") and I was APPALLED at how all of a sudden I became privy to fat jokes about OTHER people. I wondered at what weight did I become "not fat" and all of a sudden part of a "let's make fun of big people" club.

I notice the difference in the way some people treat me whether I'm up in weight or down. To me it shows people's cardinal traits and I keep it locked up in my memory so I always know what people's true colours are.