Thoughts on the criminalization of HIV/AIDS non-disclosure and herpes

I agree 100 percent!!!!

I think people are too quick to make judgements and form 'opinions' that are not based on fact or reality, but rather myths and misconceptions...

Wait a minute... this sounds familiar...

Cough...

Prostitution/Client myths and misconceptions!

• Like 1

Wait a minute... this sounds familiar...

Cough...

Prostitution/Client myths and misconceptions!

Exactly! We all know sex workers, we all know queer people, and we all know people who are HIV positive too. Stigma has a lot to do with whether someone discloses to you or not.

We need to make sure we check our tongues and create a safe space for people to genuinely talk about themselves and their experiences.

I would also like to add that this is a complex issue. I think that in a different context, one in which there was no stigma/discrimination around HIV positive people, then I would feel differently about someone not disclosing. But until that happens, I stand by my feelings on this.

Nathalie and Alex are exactly right; the uneducated stigma that surrounds the issue warps necessary (and correct) responses. Education isn't the entire solution, but it's the niggest part. The problem, I fear, is that ignorance will always outweigh enlightenment. Fear will always be more powerful than understanding. How many Americans bought the entire "death panel" myth that the opponents of health Care reform spread? How many still accept it (trust me, I've even argued with Canadians about it)? The roots of this probelm infect every major challenge we face, and those who meet these problems with tolerance and courage, as well as open minds, almost always form the minority.

• Like 1