Nightclubs Refuse Young Men

Guest W***ledi*Time

I had this happen to me also in the past in some bars in Ottawa (Velvet room) where they say we are sorry you are too young...they say they want 25+ and over, but theorically they can,t refuse us....gah:(

I can somewhat understand having an age limit if they with to cater to a specific crowd, but having different age requirements for men vs. women is unacceptable in my opinion.

I can somewhat understand having an age limit if they with to cater to a specific crowd' date=' but having different age requirements for men vs. women is unacceptable in my opinion.[/quote']

Absolutely right. If they restrict specifiic ages, address that requirement to everyone. It would be like a school saying that they had a dress code for men and a seperate, more relaxed one for women.

As long as you don't discriminate on religion, race, or sexuality...then the business can run it however they like.

It's like restaurants that ban children...if you target market is a certain group, you can target it as long as it doesn't break any discrimination laws.

Back to the fake I.D.'s for some of you young pups.

They probably deni me for being to old.

As long as you don't discriminate on religion, race, or sexuality...then the business can run it however they like.

It's like restaurants that ban children...if you target market is a certain group, you can target it as long as it doesn't break any discrimination laws.

What about discrimination on gender? Why is it okay to discriminate based on gender, but not religion, race or sexuality?

Newsflash: discriminating against someone on the basis of age DOES break discrimination laws.

The reason restaurants can ban kids is that the age discrimination provisions of the Human Rights Code only apply to those 18 or over (19 or over in relation to sale of alcohol). Clubs that refuse entry solely on the basis of age are clearly in violation of the Human Rights Code.

Yes, age is in the Charter, but the Charter is irrelevant as we are talking about private business, not government. The important document in this case is the Ontario Human Rights Code, which also prohibits discriminating on the basis of age.

Posted via Mobile Device

Additional Comments:

I used to be a promoter. That said, there are many clubs and pubs that are available in most cities. In my small town there are 2 clubs that are 25+ once a week. On those nights they make the most money because "older ppl" won't go out unless it's a 25+ night. Most young ppl still act like they are @all age dances and us "older ppl" don't want to deal with high school behavior.

The atmosphere is much better when I don't have be aware. Of the 19yr olds who run around spilling drinks and picking fights with random strangers. It's a club/pub owners choice as to what they want their place of business to be viewed as.

As for those getting turned away from parties, make friends with some staff on slow nights, show them ur not a dick and have money to spend on the ladies and I'm sure they'll give you a players pass. My bff is fresh 19 and he gets in with me all the time, kids got style $$$ and charm, so it's not impossible.

On an end note, just to comparison; if I still had my sex shop and a pardon came in and asked me to change my hours because it's "inconvenient" for them, I would just give a list of other places that suits his/her needs. My shop my rules, I'll be nice and tell u where else you can go and have ur fun. And if my place is a total hot spot and making mad money .... Why would I change it?

Just a few thoughts

Posted via Mobile Device

It's a club/pub owners choice as to what they want their place of business to be viewed as.

It is not their choice if those choices are violating Human Rights legislation, as age discrimination does.

On an end note, just to comparison; if I still had my sex shop and a pardon came in and asked me to change my hours because it's "inconvenient" for them, I would just give a list of other places that suits his/her needs. My shop my rules, I'll be nice and tell u where else you can go and have ur fun. And if my place is a total hot spot and making mad money .... Why would I change it?

Not entirely sure what opening hours have to do with anything being discussed in this thread. The rules you set for your shop are limited by the law, and the law says you can't discriminate based on age.

Actually, they just need to make them "member" only establishments and then they can establish age restrictions...

What I don't understand is why everyone gets so upset about this stuff. There are lots of clubs and bars to pick from, so if you can't get in one of them, big deal, who cares! There are too many whiners out there, who cry foul every time they don't get their way.

If someone does not want my business, fine, I will take it elsewhere!!!!!

I had my share of Ageism between my ages of 19-21. Worse was I did not have a license or ID of any kind except my DND Card, which they did not accept. So after the first week of ATTEMPTING to get into any dance clubs, or some bars, it was time to get my license.

THEN I had some Bouncers asking me stupid questions if these are my friends, who looked younger than me and how much I plan on spending tonight. Saying "it is none of your business but your boss's business" was what I thought was the correct answer, not really.

Even looking like a freak of nature at my young years, I eventually found the clubs and bars I was accepted into. But of course, any females were allowed in, even the ones with fake I.D.'s that the bouncers KNOWING they were fake.

It always stirred me during those years as I always remember that it was the guys who paid more for drinks at bars and clubs than girls EVER did. In movies where our "hero's" are going to a club and the bouncers push people back but allow all the hot girls instead and leaves the guys outside. Do they really make money for the establishment in reality??

There was a show, briefly, on Spike TV, where they were starting up a club. There was always a good mixture of both genders in the club, but always ALWAYS it was the guys who had the money and bought more drinks. To that point, from my experience, guys buying drinks did not necessarily buy drinks for gals, it was for themselves and their buddies.

So allowing gals at the point of the drinking age allowed into the clubs/pubs and having guys be restricted to 21 (or any establishment giving any restriction) is pointless in my opinion if they want to make money.

In Halifax the drinking age is 19, and even though it has been a year since I been downtown, I think it has stayed the same since then. A few fights have happened downtown due to "Dollar Drinks", but that started off with late 20 year olds. The young ones just drink, dance and HOPE to get laid ha ha.

I may have gone of subject from the OP so I am ending it now.

BD