Life Changing Turning Points

We all have changes in life, some planned, some not. Change is important - some embrace it, some fear it and some are along for the ride. Personally, I have a hell of a lot of fun in life but don't look forward to big changes. I begrudgingly aceept and respect change, and by & large jump in with both feet at some point in time, i.e. dumped the VHS and DVD player and bought the 3D Blue Ray (kept the VHS though for investment purposes - lol).

Emotionally speaking though, I'm both mature and otherwise at times (OK "otherwise" a lot of times) and have had a number of life changing turning points - some positive, some otherwise. My top 3 turning points over the past 10 years have been 1) Gut wrenching, yet friendly divorce 2) Quitting smoking (relative term - a smoker is just "between" smokes, no matter the time period and, 3) going from life long employment to self employment.

Am curious though from amongst fellow CERBites, anyone else care to share their top three 10 year change turning points"? Most importantly though, what are you most proud of? For me its how my "offspring" have turned out.

Great topic!!

Top 3 turning points. I'm going to break the rules by going back 11 years.... Number 3 was the decision to quit a 'safe' job, go back to school and learn something new....

Number 2 was the decision to sell the house (after school was done), and move the family to the Ottawa/Gatineau area...

Number 1, and still ongoing, was learning my youngest son is Autistic and dealing with everything that entails. It is still an ongoing challenge, but I love my son dearly and wouldn't change him for the world.

Welcome to life and all its challenges.

Forgot to add my proudest - proud of my two boys and how they deal with everything, especially each other... Couldn't ask for more.

Edited by bucken
add proudest

Life ChangingTurning Points?

1.) My cousin passing at 32 from ovarian cancer leaving a 4 year old and 2 year old and husband behind.

2.) My sister passing at 44 from breast cancer leaving 17 and 18 year old daughters and husband behind.

3.) My Aunt, Grand Mother and Mother passing within 45 days of each other...my Mom on a Xmas Eve.

What am I most proud of??

That I faced up to these challenges and survived as an upbeat positive person who see's life as beautiful and full of possibilities and promise.

Peace

MG

Edited by mrgreen760
  • Like 1

maybe out of the time scale specified in the OP's criteria, but here goes:

...having a parent pass away when I was young was a defining event for me.. made me who I am today.

...having a child born very prematurely, and seeing them fight to survive.. and grow into the wonderful adult that they are today.. awesome..

...turning 50... not so much... ouch...

1. Learning that life is too short to worry about small things and that you need to embrace every day. That became infinitely clear days after surviving heart surgery.

2. Rediscovering that there was a fun guy cloaked in the skin of a formerly married man. Understanding that you must maintain "me" even when you are part of an "us."

3. Discovering that my kids are even better as they approach adulthood. Regardless of the bond of blood, I love them as friends and as my family - and I feel I did make some sort of contribution to that.

1. Lost my mother suddenly to cancer six years ago. Hasn't been the same.

2. Left my job of 20 years, still recovering financially, but mental health has flourished.

3. Enjoying my independence after over 30 years of marriage.