Sex: Is it like baseball or pizza?

One of my favourite sex ed sites is the online magazine, Scarlet Teen. It's written for teenagers, but it's great for adults, too. It's full of thoughtful, insightful articles and absolutely accurate information. I recommend it for teens, for parents, for people who think about and may sometimes engage in being physically human and maybe having sex.

I love this piece: To Slide or to Slice? Finding a Positive Sexual Metaphor. It's become an essential part of my ongoing claim that intercourse cannot be the be-all and end-all of sexual activity.

Oh my god that was good. Sharing on Facebook now!

I can't even tell you how confusing the whole "base" system was to me in high school.

I'm totally going to rep the pizza metaphor all the time.

Maybe I just want it both ways.

I like the idea of sex arriving at my door within 30 minutes of me wanting it, but I also want to be cheered on by a goofy mascot while I do it.

I am really uncomfortable with the demonization of the baseball comparison. The problem? It was written by adults.

A teenage guy thinks of the baseball analogy purely as a yardstick for experience. In fact, it is an idiot's guide to straight vanilla sex. It isn't all encompassing because, well... let's face it. Teenage boys are dorks.

In the baseball analogy, there are NO other considerations other than the 4 bases. All the bunting, sacrificing, switch hitting, stealing, sliding, pitcher, catcher, team aspect stuff is a manifestation of an ADULT imagination.

The 4 bases relate to the different stages of a physical relationship between a young man and a young woman. It's kiss, feel, everything but intercourse and then intercourse. That's it. When you take a look at it that way, it's a hell of a lot more innocent than what is portrayed.

The baseball analogy is what it is. It's not meant for deeper analysis. It isn't meant for use by women, gay men, lesbians, bisexuals or necrophiliacs. It was developed by straight guys for straight guys.

The pizza analogy, that works too. It's more inclusive. It's more diverse. It envelops more of the aspects of sexuality and if it is a teaching tool, it can be very effective because it addresses the desires felt by most people.

All that being said, young guys though will still think of getting beyond first base.

Just sayin'.