For some reason yesterday for the first time I found myself thinking about soulmates and started wondering what that really means. People most of the time associate the term to couples so when someone refer to a soulmate usually talks about someone from the opposite sex and to whom is or may be romantically involved with.

To be honest this topic had never been one that ever had a relevance for me. I do believe in chemistry when it comes to relationships and have dated guys who I got along great and cared a lot for but never ocurred to me to call them my soulmate.

So what is a soulmate? Now I'm really curious to read some of your thoughts as from what I came up with yesterday and from my definiton of soulmate (someone you have a special connection with and many similarities) I have met mine and if my definition of soulmate is accurate then I am fortunate to say I met mine since I was born and that would be my father, him and I had always have a great connection, see life very similar and share beliefs. In fact, not long ago I described my dad's personality to someone and he said 'wow, you are describing yourself.'We do not share many interests/hobbies but in my opinion a soulmate is beyond that or that is what I would like to think.

Also, do/can we have more than one soulmate?? Anyway, since I'm completly ignorant of this topic I decided to read a book that someone just told me explains what a soulmate is but in the meantime if anyone knows more about this or wants to share what to them a soulmate is it would be very appreciated :)

Definitely a powerful instant connection that just comes naturally the moment you meet. You two fully understand one another on every level and you've never loved anyone like that in your life. I believe it is a person who has the same views, values and beliefs etc. An intense bond that happens immediately -- just drawn to each other. One person on every level - spiritually, sexually, emotionally and mentally.

• Like 1

I have a soul mate I met while in university. Since then, she and I have come into each others life from time to time. Mostly apart, due to circumstances. Still, when we're together it feels like perfection. It's not only sexual. It's fundamental.

Soulmate for me doesn't mean someone that you love and want to spend your life with. It can be, but I found it's often more a friend or a family member...I think I do have a soulmate...she is my dear friend for over 3 years and despite everything that happen, that I told her (she know that I am an SP), despite my life and love choice...she is still there.

She challenge me like no tomorrow and she will often yell at me, when I am down and need to be push...when I feel like giving up, she will treat me like shit to make me realize that I am actually worth it and that I shouldn't let myself down that way....

We have so much in common it isn't even funny, a couple years ago we tried to dated because we were so alike...and actually some people though we were sister!

I think that most people assume that soul mate is someone of the opposite sex and that you have a romantic connection with as this is the standard in North America.

Our soulmate is the one who makes life come to life.

• Like 1

I just finished reading What Dreams May Come....and if you believe in past and future lives...then a soulmate could be a soul you are always destined to encounter and connect with...not necessarily romantically. In one life you could be lovers, in the next siblings, or in another simply really close friends...but in each case yours souls are entwined from the instant you meet and you have a lifelong bond.

I really don't know what a "soulmate" is.

Language is a funny thing and I have found the same word means different things to different people even those who have grown up using the same language.

Someone recently wanted to describe me as "their friend" after only a couple of hours of albeit very enjoyable company. From my perspective, I have had only five friends in my life. These are people for whom I would drop whatever I was doing and spend my last dollar to help: I have dozens of acquaintances however.

I think the descriptions above show a lot about the writers but only a little glimpse about what might be a "soulmate". They are interesting insights.

Maybe I have not found one yet and thus speak from ignorance.

CB

I was always led to believe that a soulmate was the person whom you were destined to meet, fall in love with, marry and eventually die with. That, as I said is what I was led to believe and because of that I never thought much about the definition. After reading some of the responses and doing some "inner reflecting" I am not so sure any more. Lately I find myself challenging a lot of my long held beliefs and the subject of soulmates I suppose is no different. I would have to say that the definition is different for each person just as the application of the title "soulmate" would be different for each person.

By my own definition of my long held belief I have found my soulmate in that I had met someone, fell in love and married. With only the inevitable left to come. That said I am not sure if I could say that I have met my soulmate??? I find myself questioning my beliefs, not to say I made a mistake but I am wondering if there is indeed more to come. More pieces of the puzzle that I have yet to find a home for. Is the grass greener on the other side of the fence? Have I found my soulmate but am just to blind to see? Perhaps there is no such thing as a soulmate...I really do not know!

One thing I do know is sometimes the grass is NOT greener on the other side and your soulmate is someone who is staring you right in the face but for reasons unknown we can not see them. Long of the short my definition may not apply to someone else but it applies to me just the same as all the previous responders definitions applied to them.

I guess after it all my definition of a soulmate and and what I have are two different things but if the end result is happiness and fulfillment then I indeed have the best of both worlds...

Another thing about the term "soulmate" is that you first must believe in the thing called the "soul"....I can't be sure I do. I'm the kind of person who believes what he can see, hear, feel, taste and smell. The term "soul" implies that there's something else after life....otherwise what would be the point of a soul? I'm not criticizing those people who do have faith in something. Faith is a great thing to have and helps a lot of people through rough times. I just simply don't have it. I have faith in myself, in those people I care about and in my own life. I try my hardest to be a good person. Not because I'm afraid of what will happen to me after life if I don't.....but because I want to be able to look myself in the mirror...because of the kind of person I want to be. I'm not saying there isn't anything after life. I'm not saying there is. I'm saying I won't know one way or the other until I get there.

So for me the question isn't really "what is a soulmate" but "is there such a thing as a soulmate?"

Posted via Mobile Device