Poll: Thread Ratings

Are you more likely to read a thread or an ad if it has a high "Thread Rating"?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Are you more likely to read a thread or an ad if it has a high "Thread Rating"?

• Yes
    • No
    • What the heck's a "Thread-Rating?"

Guest W***ledi*Time

At the top of each thread on Cerb, there's a "Rate-Thread" button which allows each reader to give the thread a number of stars, ranging from 5-stars ("Excellent") down to 1-star ("Terrible").

In the Forum index, the average-rating that users have given to each thread is shown next to the thread name. This is displayed as the appropriate number of stars. The question in this poll is: Are you more likely to read a thread or an ad if it is displayed with a high thread-rating?

I do tend to check the higher rated threads as I scan through the new posts. If the subject of the thread is of special interest to me, though, I'll look at it anyway, regardless of rating.

I guess it's a quick filtering method for threads of possible but not compelling interest.

I think a lot of people are unaware or pay no attention to the ratings, so this is a useful discussion about a feature of the board.

Thanks for starting it, WIT.

I do tend to check the higher rated threads as I scan through the new posts. If the subject of the thread is of special interest to me, though, I'll look at it anyway, regardless of rating.

I guess it's a quick filtering method for threads of possible but not compelling interest.

I think a lot of people are unaware or pay no attention to the ratings, so this is a useful discussion about a feature of the board.

Thanks for starting it, WIT.

My thoughts exactly. :) xox

I find when the thread is rated high, it does draw your eyes towards it. However, I would never let this effect my own personal perception of the topic or thread.

I just gave this thread 5 stars, if you'd like to post an exact copy of this thread I promise not to give it a good rating then we can see which gets the most views. It would be a very scientific study. ;)

• Like 1

At the top of each thread on Cerb, there's a "Rate-Thread" button which allows each reader to give the thread a number of stars, ranging from 5-stars ("Excellent") down to 1-star ("Terrible").

Mr Wrinledintime, now now, one star doesn't ever mean terrible around here. cerb is not known for rankings like that. One star would be more like a neat read and 5 star would be really great thread(excellent).

I have no preference myself and read whatever catches my eye and the occasional ad since the ladies here have great titles.

Guest W***ledi*Time
I just gave this thread 5 stars, if you'd like to post an exact copy of this thread I promise not to give it a good rating then we can see which gets the most views. It would be a very scientific study. ;)

ha ha ... let the record show that voting while the thread was unrated stood at 3-12-1. Now that the thread's rated 5-stars, we'll see if voting now skews towards a "yes" vote - as all the chasers of highly-rated threads suddenly start checking it out!

(I'd start a new poll, but my Canada Council funding won't be renewed until the new calendar year. Until then, research must be done on a shoe-string.)

Additional Comments:

Mr Wrinledintime, now now, one star doesn't ever mean terrible around here....

If you click on the button, you'll see that the official interpretation is:

5=Excellent, 4=Good, 3=Average, 2=Bad, 1=Terrible.

Don't blame me, that's just the facts, ha ha...

Edited by W***ledi*Time
numbers were back-asswards

Are you more likely to read a thread or an ad if it is displayed with a high thread-rating?

Nope not all. I'm more curious about what ladies are available when they advertise ;) I really pay no attention to the ratings especially in some threads. I might rate an ad myself because I certainly enjoyed reading the ladies advertisement while filtering through them, or in fact give rep points or nominate her ad.

I was blissfully unaware of the rating system until a month ago; I find that I am far more compelled by a thread that has a number of views or an interesting theme than a random "star" rating.

I could rate any thread as inane as the "virtues of bicycle pumps" with 5 stars and it wouldn't compel people to either contribute or even view it.

I am however just one member and as such, am curious to see how the general population sees the rating system.

Kyra, I like the rigorous methodology you apply!

I couldn't give you rep points (another objective measure of excellence LOL), but nominated you instead.

If you click on the button, you'll see that the official interpretation is:

1=Excellent, 2=Good, 3=Average, 4=Bad, 5=Terrible.

Don't blame me, that's just the facts, ha ha...

Oh My! That Sucks! How opposite of Cerb's slogan of niceness. :(

Guest W***ledi*Time
Oh My! That Sucks! How opposite of Cerb's slogan of niceness. :(

I'm sure that's just how the standard software package originally came, and it hasn't been tinkered with yet because no-one's really paid any attention to it before.

(p.s. oops, I notice now that I got my numbers running the wrong way -s/b 5=Excellent, etc ...)

Guest E*******h S******s

Never noticed the function before and it wouldn't affect me now. I click on what I think will interest me rather than how others (subjectively) feel about any given topic.

No, I do not care if a thread has been rated at all.

I will read threads that I am interested in reading and there are many.

In respect to this poll on the effect of high or low thread ratings, a variety of social science research shows we are unconsciously influenced by a variety of variables that we think we are ignoring. My rational self tells me I should totally ignore these wildly subjective and undefined ratings. But if I see a very high rating or a very low rating, I might check it out to see if the thread "deserves" it and maybe try to correct or reinforce the existing rating.

But really how am I am I supposed to rate one of WIT's thread-starting posts on bacon lube (which I actually nominated because it really made me laugh) compared to rating one his threads on the Picton inquiry (which have life or death implications) ? Should serious threads automatically get higher ratings than funny ones !?

Edited by Touch