Roller Derby..a comeback

the real flashback....

1974 - The Canadian Allstars featuring Skinny Minnie Miller, Diane Syverson and Paul the Pear Rupert vs the Liberators.....

• Like 1

I remember Saturday afternoons as a kid (or was it Sunday mornings???) on Global.... that was one of the highlights of the week.....

I am rather happy that is making a comeback. It is one of those throwbacks that every generations should relive - like wrestling.... one of those events that is meant to be fast and over animated.

Guest ***nsut***jr
I remember Saturday afternoons as a kid (or was it Sunday mornings???) on Global.... that was one of the highlights of the week.....

I am rather happy that is making a comeback. It is one of those throwbacks that every generations should relive - like wrestling.... one of those events that is meant to be fast and over animated.

It was Saturday afternoons. Roller derby, wrestling and The Wide World of Sports. Was it on Global? It was great stuff though.

J

There are a couple teams here in the Ottawa area. The Riot Squad and The Slaughter Daughters. They play against each other and other teams in the region, including Montreal. They don't have a permanent facility yet, so it;s played on a flat track instead of the curved track. They all have funny names and they play fun music. It's a pretty fun time. I go whenever I can.

In Canada it is mostly Flat-track. It's making a comeback and is "real" not like how it used to be (rollergames). There is no punching etc but is still fun to watch. Although one girl did get expelled from the game in TO for taking out another chick out of play - always fun to see people get hit :)

The World Cup just happened in Toronto. I think you can still see some of the feeds at derby news network.

http://derbynewsnetwork.com/

Edited by Zoe Zee
added link

I used to play in the Ottawa Roller Derby League untill I tore tendons in my knee. I still skate at the roller discos though, because there is nothing quite like danceing on roller skates :)

I used to play in the Ottawa Roller Derby League untill I tore tendons in my knee. I still skate at the roller discos though, because there is nothing quite like danceing on roller skates :)

There are roller discos in Ottawa? Where? I love rollerboogie!