Sign in to follow this  

Windows XP help

Long story short, I have a dinosaur of a desktop that I need to hook up to the internet.

I have it plugged in and the icon at the bottom right says that it is connected but when I start up explorer it says that there is no internet connection. What do I do????

Guest bngfrank11

Meg,

There could be many different issues, but the first one that I would look at is to make sure that you have an ip address.

Do do this, you can click on the "Start" button on the bottom left corner and select "Run".

When it says Open, type in cmd

You should be given a black "DOS" window. You can then type ipconfig

Look at the "Windows IP Configuration" and the "Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:"

You should have an entry for IP Address and it should look like 192.168.0.1 or seething like this.

If there is nothing there then you did not get an address. This could be due to the fact that your PC might not be set you to get an address automatically.

To check this, on your desktop select "My Network Places" and right mouse click it.

Select "Properties". You should see your network adapters. Select the network adaptor and right mouse click it. Select "Properties".

You should now get a new card on your monitor.

Highlight "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click the Properties button.

Make sure that "Obtain an IP address automatically" is selected and make sure that "Obtain DNS sever address automatically" is selected. Click OK and try again.

If this does not work let Me know and we will see what else can be done.

Take care :)

Guest S*rca****sid
Long story short, I have a dinosaur of a desktop that I need to hook up to the internet.

I have it plugged in and the icon at the bottom right says that it is connected but when I start up explorer it says that there is no internet connection. What do I do????

The best and easiest thing to do is call your Internet Provider and get their tech support to walk you through the process.

The best and easiest thing to do is call your Internet Provider and get their tech support to walk you through the process.

Have you ever spoken to anyone at Rogers? LOL think I will try it on my own to start so that my hair stays on my head!

Additional Comments:

Meg,

There could be many different issues, but the first one that I would look at is to make sure that you have an ip address.

Do do this, you can click on the "Start" button on the bottom left corner and select "Run".

When it says Open, type in cmd

You should be given a black "DOS" window. You can then type ipconfig

Look at the "Windows IP Configuration" and the "Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:"

You should have an entry for IP Address and it should look like 192.168.0.1 or seething like this.

If there is nothing there then you did not get an address. This could be due to the fact that your PC might not be set you to get an address automatically.

To check this, on your desktop select "My Network Places" and right mouse click it.

Select "Properties". You should see your network adapters. Select the network adaptor and right mouse click it. Select "Properties".

You should now get a new card on your monitor.

Highlight "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click the Properties button.

Make sure that "Obtain an IP address automatically" is selected and make sure that "Obtain DNS sever address automatically" is selected. Click OK and try again.

If this does not work let Me know and we will see what else can be done.

Take care :)

You are the absolute bestest!!!! It worked and I am still sane! :)