Exercise-Induced Orgasms, Ladies?

Guest W***ledi*Time

JohnThomas Didymus reports for the Digital Journal, 26 Mar 2012:

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/321845

No sex, no vibrator: Exercise-induced orgasms are common in women

A new research shows that women do not need direct sexual stimulation to experience an orgasm. The study shows that a simple work-out at the gym can generate sexual pleasure and a full-blown orgasm in women.

According to researcher Debby Herbenick, co-director of the Center for Sexual Health Promotion at Indiana University, the new findings provides new evidence in a field that has not been widely researched.

Live Science reports that the famous sex researcher Alfred Kinsey and his colleagues, first reported the phenomenon of exercise-induced orgasm in women in 1953. Kinsey and his colleagues noted that about 5 percent of women interviewed associated physical exercise with sexual orgasim. Live Science notes, however, that Kinsey and his co-workers could not determine the incidence of this phenomenon because the women who volunteered the information did so without being asked.

The orgasms women report they experience during work-outs appear linked to exercises of the core abdominal muscles, for which reason they have been termed "coregasms. "

Herbenick and her colleagues, writing in a special issue of the journal
Sexual and Relationship Therapy
, said: "Despite attention in the popular media, little is known scientifically about exercise-induced orgasms."

The researchers' online survey included 124 women who had experienced "coregasms" and 246 women who only reported exercised-induced sexual pleasure. The women aged 18 to 63, with an average age of 30, were mostly married or in relationship, and 69 percent said they were heterosexual.

The researchers found that 40 percent of both groups had experienced exercise-induced pleasure or orgasm on more than 11 occasions in the past. Most of those who had experienced orgasms said they felt some embarrassment when they experienced the orgasm while exercising in public places. Most women who experienced the orgasm during exercise see it as bothersome rather than a desirable event, and a fifth of the women who experienced it said they have no control over the event.

According to Herbenick et al , those who had orgasm said they were not thinking or fantasying about sex when the orgasm happened.
Out of those who had orgasm during exercise, 45 percent said their first experience happened during abdominal exercises, 19 percent associated it with biking/spinning and 9.3 percent linked it to climbing poles or ropes. 7 percent associated their orgasms with weighlifting, 7 percent with running and the rest associated it with various execises such as running, swimming aerobics and elliptical machines.

Daily Mail reports that the researchers said it took them only five weeks to find enough women who had experienced the phenomenon for their study, indicating it was not rare among women.

The data showed that abdominal exercises were most linked with exercise-induced orgasms and occurred more often in those exercises in which the woman worked-out on a gym device known as a "captain's chair."

captains-chair.jpg

According to Daily Mail, "To perform the exercise, you stand with your forearms resting on the padded armrests of the chair, which are positioned at right angles to the body. You then squeeze your abdominal muscles (which support the trunk of the body) to help you lift your knees to your chest before lowering the feet to the floor again."

The survey also showed that orgasms occurred more often after several repetitions of the exercise motions when the woman's core muscles had been very highly worked-out.

According to Daily Mail, Herbenick said:
"These data are interesting because they suggest that orgasm is not necessarily a sexual event, and they may also teach us more about the bodily processes underlying women's experiences of orgasm."

Herbenick added: "Many of these women talked about it happening even as children." Some of the participants said they had experienced it as early as 7 or 8 years of age. Hebernick said: "We had at least one woman in the study who was a virgin, and she really loved that she could have these experiences at the gym."

Researchers are not yet sure why certain forms of exercises tend to lead to orgasms or even sexual pleasure. But Herbenick speculates that: "It may be that exercise, which is already known to have significant benefits to health and well-being, has the potential to enhance women's sexual lives as well."

The new study is important because it may give some clues about female sexuality, given the fact that a significant number of women report they never have orgasms during sex. IB Times reports that an Australian sex researcher Marita McCabe, of the Deakin University, had, in a previous study, said about 55% of women have difficulty with sexual satisfaction and are too stressed for sex.

Experts report one out of four women do not experience sexual orgasm. The study suggested: "It may be that physical exercise has been overlooked in clinical approaches to women's orgasm."

The question of the evolutionary connection between female orgasm, sexuality and reproduction is also of interest to researchers.The thinking is that if women may readily experience orgasm in exercise conditions unrelated to sex then this may reveal the sexual reproductive significance of female orgasm, if any at all. In addition, studying exercise-induced orgasm may shed light on the process of orgasm itself.

IB Times reports Urologist Jennifer R. Berman, director of the Berman Women's Wellness Center in Beverly Hills, said that exercises that target lower abdominal muscles strengthen pelvic muscles which are involved during sexual orgasm in women. She said: "Fit pelvic muscles can result in more powerful orgasms."

Herbenick also noted: "I think from having talked with colleagues, while some people have heard of these [exercise-induced orgasms], many of our colleagues haven't either. So I think that's going to be interesting." She said some scientists may raise questions: "'Is this a tooth fairy type of thing or does it really happen?'" She answered emphatically, "I have no doubt that it happens."

Hey what a great trip down memory road, as a person involved in sports and exercise from an early age I had my first orgasm doing leg raises on that machine.

I had no idea what was going on but this became my all time favourite exercise fast!! :icon_smile:

• Like 1

I guess every man has a feminine side ...

I hated rope climbing in high school PE - wrapping my legs around the rope and moving them upward never failed to cause an orgasm - and when you are 20 feet off the floor, you have to concentrate very hard on not falling :)

Guest S**a*Q

I go to the gym a lot and have been for a long time, but this has never happened to me. I masturbate a lot though, so I'm never really pent-up. I wonder what the stats are regarding when they last masturbated for the women that have had orgasms from working out.

I wish I could orgasm at the gym. The only way I can think of doing that is have my kegel toy inserted while I'm exercising. Those little things are so much fun. I tend to be a screamer from time to time. So maybe if I insert my face cloth into my mouth I will be just fine. Or should I just grunt really loud and pretend that the weights are too heavy. 5. grr 6. oh 7. oh oh ya 8. yes 9. yes, yes 10. OMG It would make for some interesting fun at the gym, no?

Well I've had sex with my trainer pre workout(for some reason certain stretches are way way way too sexy to handle) then gone for a run and bam! So i don't really think it matters.

Posted via Mobile Device

I remember being around 9 and squeezing my legs together in a certain way would bring a weird feeling. Took a few years for me know what it was.

I would really be in much better shape if this happened to men.... Dang it! Women have all the luck in the orgasm department!

-First there was that whole "still managing to look sexy while cumming" thing. We men unfortunately always manage to look ridiculous when we cum. Like we're trying to dance a jig while stifling a sneeze or something.

-Then there was the "being able to have multiple orgasms without needing a half hour break and a sandwich in between each one" thingamajig

- .......and now this?? What's next? A slight breeze hits you just the right way and you cum?? Jeez! .. :p

Awww for fuck's sake!!

Additional Comments:

heheh ...I jest. I love women who cum easily. It tricks me into making me feel so much better about myself :p

I once pulled my hamstring during an orgasm.....Wrapped it and got back in the game ;)

Not sure if that counts.

Peace

MG

Last time I checked I was a dude. Exercising did it for me,at least that was what I discovered when I was 9. For reasons still unknown I grabbed and hung off the two knobs of the hallway door. With the edge of the door between my legs I lifted my knees up to my chest so that in effect it appeared as if I was mounting it like a horse. I was the happiest cowboy in the world, riding my vertical steed!

I remember riding that thing at every opportunity! Fell off a couple of times in ecstasy. I remember my two younger cousins innocently standing by watching. No judgements! Pretty soon we were taking turns! Funny thing that the adults never asked us what we were doing. The door never hung quite right after that.

My cousins and I have always had great abs.

Funny thing, this occurred to me in a flashback after I had made an arrangement to meet a local SP. The humour of me as a little kid doing this in full sight of the adults had me laughing uncontrollably. I texted her about my flashback and she responded by telling me in no uncertain terms that she did not want to meet me. She asked that I not contact her again. I must have come off as some sort of nutcase. To be honest, I was horrified to discover that I offended her that way. I guess it is safer to keep my normal reserve.

So Castle, all is not lost! We men need only to seek out the perfect door.

Oh that's hilarious! The adults never had a clue? I'm still laughing after reading this. I am sorry however that the SP was offended. I think I would have peed my pants a lil laughing if you texted this to me.

Last time I checked I was a dude. Exercising did it for me,at least that was what I discovered when I was 9. For reasons still unknown I grabbed and hung off the two knobs of the hallway door. With the edge of the door between my legs I lifted my knees up to my chest so that in effect it appeared as if I was mounting it like a horse. I was the happiest cowboy in the world, riding my vertical steed!

I remember riding that thing at every opportunity! Fell off a couple of times in ecstasy. I remember my two younger cousins innocently standing by watching. No judgements! Pretty soon we were taking turns! Funny thing that the adults never asked us what we were doing. The door never hung quite right after that.

My cousins and I have always had great abs.

Funny thing, this occurred to me in a flashback after I had made an arrangement to meet a local SP. The humour of me as a little kid doing this in full sight of the adults had me laughing uncontrollably. I texted her about my flashback and she responded by telling me in no uncertain terms that she did not want to meet me. She asked that I not contact her again. I must have come off as some sort of nutcase. To be honest, I was horrified to discover that I offended her that way. I guess it is safer to keep my normal reserve.

So Castle, all is not lost! We men need only to seek out the perfect door.

In retrospect, it must have struck the older folk as odd, all their little darlings hanging off the doors. Little legs frantically pumping away. All we needed was a little dog with a birthday hat with a propensity for riding to complete the picture. But alas we didn't have a dog and I am sure they never caught on despite the fact that it was happening all around them.

Funny why I can't remember how the practice fizzled out.