To The Kids Born 1930-1979

Does it ever occur to anybody else that this generation who congratulate themselves on how great they had it are the same people who invented the Nintendo, the cell phone, the MP3 player, and pushed for all these safety precautions, pushed for participation medals for their kids, did the research on smoking etc?

Sorry, but I just find it groan inducing to see one generation blame the generation it raised for how it turned out. They should pull a Michael Jackson and start with the man in the mirror.

• Like 3

This even goes for those born between the years and became parents themselves and instilled in them what they did when they were a child.

I remember being told to go outside, and I did. My favourite part of this thread is riding our bikes to our friends homes and knocking on the door or just wave to Neil's Mom and she would wave us in. Making friends was easy, one friend had all the new toys, one was the risk taker, the other had a tree house and you had one that was the muscle *which was me*.

Now with children who were born after 1980 and now who are parents themselves do absolutely nothing, to a degree, with their children. Fat children, they become isolationists, EMO's ha ha, now you have groups, there were groups in the past, but they were made up of children who just wanted to play, nothing to do with status.....I do not know but I find that the children who were born after 1980 and have children themselves.....their children just seem to be lazy, fat, take no responsibility and have only one parent.....really sucks.

My childhood was fun and I remember on 3 occasions where my Parents sided with the law ha ha. The Go-Kart bit happened to my Dad ha ha, he busted up his leg and My Gram, his Mother, was hard core that she bandaged him up herself with a homemade cast out of newspapers and some concoction she made herself that is originally used in her Meat Pies ha ha ha ha.

Great thread roamingguy, this is a keeper.

other than the mud pies and worm eating, this describes me ... knocked out teeth falling off bike, broken wrist from tree fall, in by the time street lights came on, go cart racing, tree fort building ..... was I being watched ....

To the kids born in the 90s and 00s, eat a bunch of food and do drugs and whatever you like while you're still young because you're going to be up to your eyes in debt from the pensioners, paying $5 a liter for gas, and wearing hazmat suits outdoors to protect from environmental damage when you're grown up.

• Like 1

Being caught within those demonic years, I remember riding my bike with no safety gear, skateboarding without a million miles of equipment on, going to my friends places (just cause it was fun and I had many), and having to be within earshot of my own house when the streetlights came on.

I grew up in a very small place, and believe me, my mother knew where I was at any given time of the day, no matter how hard it tried to evade her! Lol

There was no way I was getting into trouble without my mother knowing about, and she knew WAY before I got home. Hehehehe

As for walkmans, fancy bikes, Rollerblade, safety equipment, and the like, my family couldn't afford it never mind have it for all of us, 3 of us shared one bike!

I have to admit though, growing up I had some fun times, as poor as we were I always had friends, and that was worth more to me than anything materialistic that my parents couldn't afford anyway.

I find the younger generation, a lot of the times, takes for granted what they have. Giving everything and doing everything for your kids is not the way I want to do things, I've been working since I could walk, so I learned the value of money at a very early age.

I always had everything that I needed (which wasn't much) but anything I wanted, I worked for.

I like to think that society has learned from each generation, at least I hope they do.

I was instilled with good values, I only hope the next generation is as well.