Lenovo B575 wireless stops working if I install windows critical updates

I just received my laptop (refurbished) yesterday from futureshop online. I love it.. but as soon as I did a reboot to install critical updates my wifi stopped working. I then put it back to previous settings and its working fine.

Any ideas?

Also.. how important are 'critical' updates.. are they in fact critical?

I just received my laptop (refurbished) yesterday from futureshop online. I love it.. but as soon as I did a reboot to install critical updates my wifi stopped working. I then put it back to previous settings and its working fine.

Any ideas?

Also.. how important are 'critical' updates.. are they in fact critical?

Are these critical update with Lenovo, or Windows?

If they are with Lenovo, then one probable cause could be that Lenovo's own wireless integrated software is overruling the Windows default setting and you would have to connect to the wifi using that or disable it.

It is possible the windows updates have deactivated the radio in your Lenovo wireless management. Try this (Function Key - Fn) + F5. This should bring up Lenovo wireless radio control. Make sure radio control is activated. Hope this helps.

P.S. Always apply windows updates to keep yourself protected online as most updates are security related. Hope this helps!

well I had left my laptop alone andforgot to close it so it updated again.. and this time the wireless is working fine.. so I have no idea why it didn't work before and is now.. but I'll keep your suggestions in case it happens for the next update..

thanks for the responses. It was way quicker here getting help than futureshop forums :)

well I had left my laptop alone andforgot to close it so it updated again.. and this time the wireless is working fine.. so I have no idea why it didn't work before and is now.. but I'll keep your suggestions in case it happens for the next update..

thanks for the responses. It was way quicker here getting help than futureshop forums :)

Could've been just a glitch.

well yesterday it crashed on me out of nowhere... I was just watching a youtube video. I had to do a cold reboot (if that's the correct term) removing the battery and everything to get it to restart. I had only installed skype (I do the occasional paid webcam show and need it for that) and a new background image on my desktop and it happened a couple hrs after that.. but then when I booted it up again.. it was fine. It's asking me to do another windows update.. so when that happens I hope it's okay with that.. I think it's just cranky about new installations. :P

I have microsoft security essentials for my antivirus etc.

Edited by Carrie Moon

well yesterday it crashed on me out of nowhere... I was just watching a youtube video. I had to do a cold reboot (if that's the correct term) removing the battery and everything to get it to restart. I had only installed skype (I do the occasional paid webcam show and need it for that) and a new background image on my desktop and it happened a couple hrs after that.. but then when I booted it up again.. it was fine. It's asking me to do another windows update.. so when that happens I hope it's okay with that.. I think it's just cranky about new installations. :P

I have microsoft

Download and run the Memtest86+ program for an hour or two, and see if maybe the RAM isn't failing on it.

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

I think you should install the drivers update from the Lenovo site for your model.

Thanks.. but which one do I click on? There are several to choose from.

Well, I kept that upto you to decide, since only you know which alternative boot methods are available to you, based on your hardware. I'll give you a few clues, always choose the latest versions of course, unless told otherwise. Then you choose based on what kind of alternative boot methods you have. You would choose the one for the USB key, if you can boot from a USB memory stick. You would choose the "precompiled bootable ISO" if you have a CD/DVD-writer on that machine, and can boot from it. You also have to have blank CD's or DVD's to burn the image onto, of course.

Also for the ISO, make sure you download the *.zip version rather than the *.gz version, because chances are more likely that you can decompress the *.zip file with your existing software rather than the *.gz file.

So I would suggest downloading both the version for the USB key and for the CD/DVD drive, and just trying both, see which one works for you. One or both of them are bound to work for you.

Not to sure what critical updates setting you have, but you can change it so that it only updates certain programs and notify you if you want to install or not.

I normally just update windows and my Anti-virus.

It also good to do backups, just in case your laptop gets corrupted.